Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580b case backhoe oil questions

rtwilson25 ยท 2015-11-29 16:42

I have what I believe is a 1973 580b case backhoe. (serial number 8714686) it has the G188D engine and the shuttle shift. I just did outer rear outer wheel bearings and seals. I'm having trouble verifying the type of oil called for in the final drive (my book makes no mention of oil type) also Id like to drain the trans and differential which the manual calls for sae 90wt for the trans and diff. is it the same for the final drive? do the differential and final drive share fluid? also an I safely run 15-40 in the engine? what are some of the best alternatives for the case hytran hydraulic oil. I read somewhere I can run hg46 in the hydraulic system but not in the shuttle? ive spent hours searching this site and others and haven't gotten many definitive answers. thanks

Replies15
  1. #1onemank62015-11-29 17:56

    My neighbor is a 1973 580b and mine is a 1970 580ck were both running 80-90 in the rear end and to my knowledge the final is lubed with this as well. As far as the trans if yours power shuttle thats not 80-90 that is a hy trans oil which is like hydraulic oil but its for hyd trans.I run the tsc stuff in my trans its around $35.00 for 5 gallons and it has worked for me for about 3 years now. I think i have heard of a mechanical shuttle but i have no idea what that uses in the trans. Hope this helps

  2. #2rtwilson252015-11-29 18:00

    the book for both trans/shuttle variations call for sae 90 wt in the trans and diff. but the book makes no mention to the final drive which most people would call a differential. The book shows both a trans, differential and a final drive.

  3. #3onemank62015-11-29 18:49

    I dont know abut the mechanical shuttle but the power shuttle does not take 90wt it is more of a hydraulic oil and the rear end is the only thing that needs oil. If you look on the top of trans and rear end you will see there are only 2 dipsticks they are like a 11/4" hex head looks like a plug but there are dipsticks attached under them the one in the front of the shifter is the one for the trans/shuttle the one closer to the rear (behind shifter) is for the rear end and thats it. If you do a search on here for 580b oil capacity or on google there quit a bit here and there about these different oils. Is yours power shuttle????

  4. #4rtwilson252015-11-29 18:58

    that was what I thought as well 90wt in the final drive only. but the book says trans and diff

  5. #51968 Case 580CK2015-11-29 21:02

    OK, some pics of my 68 580CK will help here: Here is a pic of the rear end with the hatch off. I used 80/90 weight gear oil here: Here is a pic of the next two fluid boxes. The one on the right is the tranny (4 speed gear lever fits on this one). This also takes 80/90 gear oil. The one to the left is the Hi/Lo Range and Forward/Reverse Shuttle gear box. (I guess Case calls it the Hydraulic Reservoir). This takes Case TCH or a good hydraulic oil. Pic of all three together with tops on: There is a 4th box in front of these there, and it is located under the fuel tank.....here is a pic: I think Case calls this one the Torque Tube. It also takes Case TCH or a good hydraulic fluid. ********Please let me know if I said anything wrong above, as I could be wrong.*******

  6. #6rtwilson252015-11-29 22:20

    -1968-Case-580CK. Thanks for the response but yours is different than my 73 580b.

  7. #7rtwilson252015-11-29 23:03

    I should of read this on the computer the first time. so the 17qt it calls for of 90wt should be split between the final and the differential (the hole under the shifter. I believe they share fluid between the two?

  8. #81968 Case 580CK2015-11-30 08:16

    RT: Here are a couple pics of the tranny box with the top off......you can see a small round hole between this box and the rear-end box. I think there is a hole near the bottom also. When draining, there should be a seperate drain plug for each box. I guess this is why there is no dip-stick for the tranny fluid....only for the rear-end fluid. Post some pics of your 73 so we can see the changes made......I know you have more fancy metal enclosures on top, but I thought the drivetrain was still the same, but I could easily be wrong.

  9. #9onemank62015-11-30 22:00

    this what my ck looks like if this image shows up the plug behind the shifter 80-90 the one in the front of shifter is the hy tran

  10. #10onemank62015-11-30 22:05

    does yours have a pressure gauge something like this i think the 580b says trans pressure if so im pretty sure yours is power shuttle if you can post some pics of your tractor would help

  11. #111968 Case 580CK2015-12-01 08:01

    xpack.......yep, I agree with your 2-plug statement. Gotta love that original Case orange with the worn patina affect. Your paint guy must have labored many hours to get that proper wear affect. Hey, do you actually have a small tool box under the foot platform? I bought a new platform from TractorStuff, and it has this flip top, but no box underneath. Im curious how the box mounts to the tractor.

  12. #12onemank62015-12-01 12:30

    Yea im thing about touching up the orange and yellow with rattle cans. Theres no toolbox under mine but i like the idea i might need to fab one while its down good idea then i can get rid of the one my chain is carried in on the other side in pic. Now that i know how to put pics on here i may start a new thread showing the process on mine its only took me 3 years to learn how to post pics with this computer.And in my case {computer = disaster** {wrench in my hand = something will get done along with learning a new vocabulary** Have a good one

  13. #131968 Case 580CK2015-12-01 16:11

    Interesting about the toolbox......I just assumed that they all had a toolbox under that flapper lid. Would be interesting to see a pic of someone who has the original box, and how it was bolted in place. Its also interesting to see that you just have a normal bolt holding your battery cover to the tranny. Mine has a long 3 inch threaded rod sticking up, and the lid fits over it, and then a couple nuts. Im thinking mine must have been jerry-rigged later. That bolt sticking up like that really jabs me in the gut when I try to get contorted and lay down to reach the hydrualic lines under the backhoe tower. Good to see you can post pics now......so, looking forward to seeing more of your adventures with the 580. Just dont slam that wrench into the computer screen....ha ha. See ya.

  14. #14onemank62015-12-01 16:50

    I dont know if you have ever heard of colemanequip.com but they show parts breakdown of your tractor and i just went there and see a tool/battery box it looks like the tool box is seperate and as far as your bolt sticking up mine has a bracket that mounts to the top of rearend and is bent to go under the plate and has a nut welded to it so you can just thread a bolt into it and in the front there are 2 pins which fit into 2 holes in the battery box, They are under the plate and welded to it horizontal and the whole plates sits on the battery box and slides rearward align pins and put 1 bot in.

  15. #151968 Case 580CK2015-12-01 19:03

    xpack....I will have to try coleman regarding that tool box, and even see if Tractor Stuff may have a used one in his backyard of old Case tractors. I am also missing the parking brake lever, and when I called Tractor Stuff, he said that he just sent his last one out to a guy in Austrailia, and it was real odd for a sudden demand in this part. Yep, I have that bracket on my floor plate too.....but someone years ago must have welded the bolt to the tranny cover, and started using a nut for some reason. Maybe he thought he was getting moisture into the tranny, or something.