Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B CK oil contaminated

Husker67NE · 2024-02-09 08:24

I have a 1974 Case 580B CK backhoe with a diesel engine. It is shuttle shift design and works in both forward and reverse but lacks power. The power improves after servicing but not to what I feel is right, it struggles on a small incline. The torque tube, hydraulic and transmission oils always get contaminated after being serviced. I have flushed all the systems at each service and they will be good for a couple weeks but start discoloring. Covering the backhoe delays the contamination but doesn’t stop it. Where should I look for the entry point causing this, I don’t see where these 3 inter-connect so there must be multiple locations. Thanks for any assistance given.

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-02-09 09:58

    What gear are you using on those small inclines ? Got a cab on it or an open ROPS ? The gear shift boot is a common entry point for water.

  2. #2Husker67NE2024-02-09 22:39

    I try in 2nd gear and it crawls up. It is an open ROPS. Can water get in even if the boot isn’t cracked or torn?

  3. #3Husker67NE2024-02-09 22:45

    How does water get from the transmission into the torque tube and hydraulics?

  4. #4Tinkerer2024-02-10 08:46

    If the boot fits tight around the lever there is little chance of water getting past it. Was the tractor in a flood at some time in the past ? 2nd gear ?? ---> The torque convertor may be defective. There are ways to check it. How strong is it in reverse ? Do you have the service manual for it ?

  5. #5Husker67NE2024-02-21 23:15

    I had a digital copy until my computer crashed and haven't been able to find a good copy of one. The boot doesn't move when I twist it so I'm pretty sure its tight. I haven't found any holes in it either. Torque converter? I don't remember seeing one when I last had the tractor split.

  6. #6Husker67NE2024-02-21 23:16

    The reverse is good but has power loss in second as well, not as noticeable. How can I check the torque converter?

  7. #7Tinkerer2024-02-22 07:48

    No torque convertor if you have a clutch. Send me your email address in a private conversation and I will give you download access for the service manual from my Google Drive.