Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B starter filled with oil

Husker67NE · 2024-02-09 08:36

I have a 1974 Case 580B CK backhoe with a diesel engine. I’ve had issues with my starter corroding and getting filled with oil (contaminated which is another issue all together.) The oil is coming from the torque tube. Is the flywheel supposed to have oil around it? When I split the tractor I don’t remember oil there. Thanks, all assistance is appreciated!

Replies5
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-02-09 09:52

    Welcome to HEF, Husker67NE ! 580B with a power shuttle ?? It has a wet bell-housing. The starting motor requires a gasket on it's mounting flange and a specific starter designed for the the 580B's. The bell housing requires a gasket between it and the engine block. The bell-housing drain plug requires an "O" ring on it also.

  2. #2Husker67NE2024-02-09 22:43

    Do you have a diagram of the starter and how the gasket is installed? I have the original starter housing but it has been rebuilt 3-4 times in the last 5 years. Can’t remember if I had a gasket when I put the engine back in. O ring is in place!

  3. #3Tinkerer2024-02-10 08:51

    From the online parts book. CASE Construction | Schematic, Manuals, Specifications and Diagrams for electrical equipment mounting, (188) diesel engine | MyCNHi US Store Find schematics, manuals, specifications and diagrams for ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT MOUNTING, (188) DIESEL ENGINE. Find genuine OEM parts for your needs. www.mycnhistore.com

  4. #456wrench2024-02-10 09:44

    if the starter has oil anywhere in the armature area, the shaft seal between the armature and the drive will be leaking

  5. #5Husker67NE2024-02-21 23:19

    I'll talk to the guy I use for all my re-builds. See if he placed a new seal on the shaft or not.