Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B Feels like something grabbing and binding, Brakes?

KenO ยท 2019-06-17 08:54

I have an issue with what sounds like something binding, my first thought was the brakes, it grabs and then lets go intermittently in either direction. I haven't used it in a while so I was changing fluids and filters and moved to power wash it and heard this going on!?!? The brakes have never really worked since I got it 10 yrs ago but it does seem like there's a lot less play in brake pedals then before. Thoughts on this one? And as requested...LOL here's some pics of her.

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2019-06-17 10:21

    Yes, I seem to remember several threads about worn out Case brakes grabbing exactly as you've described. The brakes actuate via balls that roll up a ramp, they don't retract reliably when worn.

  2. #2KenO2019-06-17 10:39

    Thanks Delmer, that reassures my suspicions, it feels and sound likes it coming from under my feet. I was checking out rebuild kits, ouch! Any suggestions on a reasonable parts house?

  3. #3swampman2019-06-17 17:06

    Try brokentractor.com. I recently bought a shuttle rebuild kit and TC from them for very reasonable.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2019-06-19 22:19

    More than likely the brake disc are worn and allowing the expansion balls are trying to ride over the sockets.

  5. #5Ronsii2019-06-20 00:06

    That... and a lot of times the springs are worn or broke... and seals leak then the linings get oiled and it's all downhill from there

  6. #6franklin22019-06-23 17:25

    I found half the problem on my 480C was all the linkages being froze up and the parking brake cable and linkages froze up under the floorboard. That is the hardest part if you have a floorboard, getting that out so you can work on it. Using penetrating oil and tapping everything back and forth with a hammer finally loosened things up to where the brakes quit locking up. The return springs are not strong enough to retraact the brakes with all the linkages stuck or stiff. That was after I installed new seals in the wheel cylinders and actually got the brakes working again.