Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B Loader/Backhoe Trans Oil Fill

fiddlinman ยท 2014-09-24 21:21

I have a manual transmission and cant seem to find the oil fill area. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Shimmy12014-09-24 23:21

    Probably a plug in the side of the transmission itself. Don't confuse the oil fill/dipstick for the torque converter. They are separate.

  2. #2fiddlinman2014-09-25 20:56

    Yes I am aware of the torque converter dipstick, thanks. I just haven't found the transmission fill plug even on the side. Surely it doesn't go through the vent.

  3. #3Shimmy12014-09-27 00:26

    They can be hard to find. Usually about third way up from bottom.

  4. #4melben2014-09-27 23:37

    you will never find it on the side, It is on top just ahead of the 4 speed stick. just left and ahead of that screws out, early 580s just had a thin 1.5" nut, later ones had a 3/4 piece of hex stock welded to the plug to make it easier and still later there was a true pull out dipstick. The parts breakdown for a B shows a tube about 3-4" long that the dipstick screws into in the same location. The hole will be near where your left foot would be if seated, maybe just a little behind that

  5. #5fiddlinman2014-09-28 19:10

    Thanks Melben I found it. It was covered up with years of dirt and oil accumulation.