Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 310C boom pivot repair

hosspuller ยท 2014-09-25 12:06

In for a Dime, might as well in for a Dollar. The injection pump I was having a problem with is being rebuilt... I'm considering replacing the pins & bushings of the Boom Pivot. That is; the bushings on the swing frame. Can this be a backyard repair? If the hoe is laid out (to keep it from falling over), can the pins be driven out ? I would block the boom and use a jack to take the pressure off the pins. Then, using the hydraulics, move the boom away from the swing frame a few inches. Weld three beads inside the bushings to shrink the bushing before driving them out. Either cool the new bushings with dry ice or use a bolt & nut to pull them into the frame. (don't have a nifty hollow center hydraulic puller) Or Both. Use the hydraulics to pull the boom back into position for the new pins. All assuming the frame bore isn't egg shaped... Am I the ant in front of the rubber tree? with "High Hopes" as Sinatra would sing Your thoughts.. Please ..

Replies6
  1. #1Garrie Denny2014-09-28 02:21

    Don't know if your plan of attack is right or not? there are plenty of very smart people on this forum who will no doubht be able to point you right, But I never saw any type of tree that could stop an at who wanted to do it. Good luck.

  2. #2Delmer2014-09-28 10:44

    That plan sounds workable to me. Never done that specifically, but some similar bushings and rigging. The pins should fall out when you have the weight off of them. If you weld the bushings they'll come out easy, if not, weld them some more. I'd figure on using a hydraulic jack to get the bushings in. It might be as simple as using the weight of the machine, or you might have to rig something up? Everybody else seems to like the dry ice or liquid nitrogen method, dry ice hasn't worked for me. Liquid nitrogen is colder though, by 200 degrees.

  3. #3sheepfoot2014-09-28 11:39

    Your bushing are in the tower and not the main frame attached to the tractor. You will have to unpin the swing cylinder rod ends. Loosen the hoses and push them back in there bore. With the hoe stretched out, support the tower and move it to the right or left about 6-8". Remove the upper and lower bushings, install the new bushings and work the tower back to center it up. Bore has to be clean, dry ice works but you have to be ready to go when you take it out of the box, two to three hours, gloves, driver and sledge ready, can't play around. You will be hitting on your tower so it has to be supported well, be careful rigging if you don't have the right equipment, extra blocks and even a A frame nailed up to help with the side to side. Some machines with the cylinder leakage will allow the tower to move while being supported. Always be ready to move your self. Also you can buy 1" grade 8 threaded rod with nuts and washers that will pull most smaller machine bushings in by hand. If the bore is bad where your pins go in the main frame then your into a different issue also as far as repair goes.

  4. #4hosspuller2014-09-28 12:28

    Thanks for the good wishes... Delmer ... The bushings I'm working on are the lower boom pivot so the machine weight doesn't apply since they're horizontal. I just ordered the pins & bushings on line, so I'm committed to trying this. My next step is to find a local mobile line boring outfit, if the swing tower is egg shaped. The alternative is trying a bedding compound. Anybody use a particular compound for over sized bores?

  5. #5sheepfoot2014-09-28 13:49

    hosspuller, I missed on that one, yes you can just lower the boom down with it on a floor jack and block of wood, kind of recall enough hose to work with to get the clearance, should be a easy repair as long as the tower bosses for the pins are good. Too many machines on the mind I guess!

  6. #6hosspuller2014-09-28 14:12

    Sheepfoot ... "should be a easy repair" That's encouraging. I was thinking the boom would go up since the hoses would be strained lowering the boom out of the swing tower. I just thought of a complication... The boom control lever will have to be tied in the lift position. Otherwise the boom cylinder will be locked into position while jacking it up. Right? Always helps to have several minds looking at a problem.