Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B Mechanical Reverser

wray nc ยท 2016-08-05 16:00

I have a 580B with the mechanical reverser, have to clutch from forward to reverse. The reverser has hung in forward and won't shift into reverse. The shifter won't move to the reverse position. This happened suddenly with no warning signs. Looking for some suggestions.

Replies9
  1. #1sheepfoot2016-08-05 18:56

    You are going to have to pull the mech shuttle cover up after removing the dip stick and the linkage from the F/R. Once removed check the drop down lever splines, rail assembly, fork for being bent or heavy wear, then the syncro assembly where the fork slides into, This moves and connects the correct gear match when going F/R and will wear out and cause a no shift. You should be able to bump the collar and get it to shift, may need to turn the wheel with it off the ground to help bump it. Let us know what you find.

  2. #2wray nc2016-08-06 21:32

    Thanks Sheepfoot. I'll tear into it when the hot weather breaks.

  3. #3wray nc2016-09-03 16:17

    Pulled the top off of the xmission, but couldn't get the top off of the hi/lo reverser. I can move it but it seems to be bindinglike if I force it something is bound to break. The hi/lo lever shifts fine, but the reverser is still stuck in forward with the cover bolts removed. It seems that something will have to "turn loose" before the top will come off. Any suggestions.

  4. #4Grady2016-09-03 20:50

    Did you lift the rear wheels off the ground with the stabilizers like Sheepfoot suggested?

  5. #5wray nc2016-09-03 21:08

    Yes, the rear wheels are off of the ground. How do I manipulate the rear wheels to free up the reverser?

  6. #6Grady2016-09-04 10:01

    I don't know for sure, I can't recall mine ever binding up that tight. I would try moving the wheel back and forth while prying up on the cover with the motor off and the trans in 1st gear low range. The cover has to come off. Try working the linkage while moving the tire back and forth - mostly back since it's stuck in forward. How is the level of the lube?

  7. #7wray nc2016-09-05 12:53

    The lube is full to the mark on the dip stick. I tried to move the tires to and fro while moving the reverse shifter, The shifter won't move just the whole top cover. It is as though the sifting forks are stuck in the forward position. As I said, the hi/lo shifter works fine. I put a big pry bar under the to cover but no luck. I believe I'm going to have to force it and see what brakes.

  8. #8sheepfoot2016-09-05 22:06

    You will more than likely have to force it up. It has more than likely had the lever jump over the lug on the rail or the synchronizer is worn and not allowing it to slide back into neutral, forks are worn/ worn thru. At this point i would stop and replace the bolts in the housing for the F/R and H/L, reinstall your gear shift cover. I would back it to a area and set the hoe off, your going to have to hold the clutch down while doing some of this. Pull the machine forward out of the way with the clutch pushed in and take the four pins in the loader bucket loose and set the bucket off. Get it to a good level area. Does your machine have a rops or a cab, neither. I always get rid of the loader bucket and backhoe if it looks like it's going to need to be split while the machine is under it's own power. It will be a job if you have to replace the synchronizer. When i said rock it, you may need two people, one to rock the wheels in 4th gear with the diff lock engaged and you to put pressure on the F/R lever trying to get it to move. Always make sure the stop cable is out and the key switch off.

  9. #9wray nc2016-10-31 12:28

    I got the cover off of the reverser. Had to use a lot of force and broke the rod that holds the shifting fork. I'm having that welded. Also found one of three plates or tabs missing from the synchronizer as well as the circular retaining ring. I assume the these are in the bottom of the housing. I'm going to try to reassemble the tab and the retaining ring onto the synchronizer. I am relative sure that this is my problem. Can the reassembly be done without taking the reverser our? I could not see anything else broken or damaged.