Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B mystery gear

Awmosby ยท 2024-07-09 20:41

Hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. Splitting the tractor behind the torque tube to replace ring and pinion gears and found this chunk of gear in the bottom of the housing. Its about 1/3 of the gear, 3/4" deep. Tracing it out, the center is about 5/8" in diameter and the gear should be 8 or 9T. Looking around, I couldn't find any other pieces or any indication of where it came from. I checked parts diagrams and couldn't find any places where something that small is used. Any ideas what it could be from?

Replies9
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-07-09 21:17

    Starter gear I'd almost bet money on it Tho that would make sense as to where you found it

  2. #2Tinkerer2024-07-10 22:14

    A mismatched starter pinion gear to a ring gear will make those. If the gear doesn't break like that one, the end of the armature shaft will shear off.

  3. #3Awmosby2024-07-10 22:14

    Ending up at the back, under the shuttle (power shuttle, btw)? From the diagrams, it didn't look like there was much for passage between the chambers; if it got there, though, it's a ways from home.

  4. #4Tinkerer2024-07-11 09:11

    If it is a piece of a Bendix gear, it shouldn't be where you found it.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2024-07-11 10:02

    That's what I thought I ment to say won't in my previous post

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2024-07-14 19:54

    If you found that in the transaxle housing I'd be checking the input and pinion shaft gears. And of course it may have been left over from previous repair.

  7. #7Awmosby2024-07-14 23:32

    I found it in the torque tube housing. I'm going to assume it's leftover from a previous repair or someone accidentally dropped it in there at some point because I've found nothing. My expectations aren't high for a 50 year old machine, so if it runs and moves dirt I'll just live with not knowing.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2024-07-15 06:37

    Oh okay then I misunderstood where it was found.

  9. #9melben2024-07-15 10:34

    Starter drive gear, it is not unheard of to have a tooth suck up the power shuttle gear pump and shear off the drive key, later stuff had screens on the pickup tubes, flywheel area is common sump with the powershuttle.