I have an IBC tote tank. I’m going to fill it with water in my pick up and need to place it near my camper. What I wanted to do is put the machine near the camper back up the pick up to the machine put a chain around the cage And lift up just enough so I can pull the pick up away safely I believe it weighs around 2000 pounds full it’s a 275 gallon tank. I hope I can successfully and safely lift that to put on the ground I’m going to use it to refill a camper temporarily , anybody have any suggestions the safest way to lift it I saw somewhere I thought it said with the hoe was stronger but I also read some about the front bucket but I don’t have any forks or anything a chain I do suggestions are very welcome . By the way, my machine is a 1983 case 580e
Plastic one, I presume? You could sling it with nylon straps but, you ain’t lifting it with that. I’d get another free plastic tote and drain one into the other. Let gravity do the work.
The cage will not take the weight. It is there to protect the tote, you can't rig to that. those little vertical tubes are stamped galvanized 30ga metal or so. Put some straps under it before you fill it, and use those. wrap a chain around the bucket in the middle of it, and through the eyes of the straps. Get two of these. 20' is about right. 4 by 4 by 4 =12 plus 4' legs up to the middle. https://slingsunlimited.com/product...-slings-length=20-feet&pa_nylon-sling-width=2 The case machine will lift it easily, don't worry about the power. I prefer picking it and having a helper drive out from under the load, but you do you.
Can i wrap chains under , like through the pallet And lift with 2 chains hooked to hoe bucket ? I would assume they lift them full with a forklift , thats why i ask about underneath where the forks would go .
Yes plastic tote like in the back of my dodge , machine cant lift it ? Or cage can’t handle it ?
sure, you would need 3 chains IMO. two through the fork slots and another to go around the bucket. The tote is liftable sure, but I did not want you to think you can hook to the top. it is just tin.
So straps under pallet chain through straps rear bucket is stronger? Lift enough to pull pickup out . Harbor freight straps ok ? Them yellow ones ?
Yes that makes sense cage is light duty for protection, pallet is fine , got ya
they have a rating. 2" 1 ply straps are typically rated about a ton in basket. So you'd have about a 50% load on them.
Free ? Not by me and you think my machine can’t lift it?
Thanks sky King I appreciate your help. I always get good answers from you. You’re very helpful person. I appreciate it.
Hey bud, one more question what’s the best positioning? I don’t think you’re supposed to be fully extended, curl the bucket and try to keep the main boom up towards the cab I believe not sure.
That’s about 2,200 lbs. I’m just thinking that’s a lot of weight for an extended hoe. A pair of forks might be better. Yes, plastic IBC totes are disposable and often free for the asking. I’ll give you as many as you want. Sling it up and Give it a try. If you drop it, it’s not like you are spilling hazmat all over. Maybe remove the tailgate, first. To get it away from the danger zone.
Front bucket will lift more.
That model and era of 580 I would set 2000# structures and carry them around.
Noone said it was an extendahoe and if lift fails i dont want to smash my pickup , it will be in my newer chevy Colorado not my ram 2500 where would i have to go to get free totes ? Im paying 50. Near me and they held vinigar or olive oil
Awsome don’t have forks
Coaldust had the safest & best solution. Get two IBC's, drain one into the other on the ground. You then, don't have to disturb your plumbing to the RV. I'm leery of crushing the IBC base in a chain/strap basket lift. It's meant to be lifted with forks. A shame to crush your truck bed sides or tail gate with a falling IBC.
I agree the two totes is likely the best option but I certainly don't have two totes money. @skyking1 - Feel free to correct me but this is how I'm seeing what you are saying in my head. A side view, straps are long enough to touch the sides of the tote, but not put any real pressure, chains are long enough to help that happen but short enough to keep the loader bucket able to lift off the truck bed an inch so the truck can be driven away (a helper driver would be lovely, but I'd do this by myself all day, if no one was around). The loader will definitely handle the weight but if you get nervous you can counter-balance a bit by extending your hoe out, especially if you only plan to lift with the loader, not drive like that. You may end bending the cage a bit but it should lift easily. I've lifted comparable weight bags of sand, with forks, moving the weight way out in front, and didn't get nervous about it at all.
In my opinion doing junk like this is what makes backhoes so much fun. Yeah digging a 15 foot deep hole in half an hour is cool, but I really enjoy considering how to use the machine in any variety of ways that don't use the main features. Uh, also @jimmynoshow a set of loader mounted forks is without a doubt worth the money, just don't get fooled by the bolt-on type. You have to get the bar mounted with the hooks you mount/weld to the top of the loader bucket. Forks allow all kinds of good stuff to be done, like get heavy deliveries to the property that you can pick off of trucks. There are several places on the forum discussing these but let me know and I can point them out, and discuss the hook welding location that I got wrong!
Your going to put a 275 gallon tote full of water in the back of a Chevy Colorado ?
I must be missing something, why don't you just drive that Dodge up next to the camper and fill it? If you set that clear/opaque tote out in the sun it'll be lovely shade of green in a week. Why not fill it 1/2 way and not wind up in the overload of the day section? Gonna break that Colorado in half.
2,300lbs of water in the back of a colorado would get a big "no" from me dawg. About the time that water sloshes around a little on a corner or coming to a stop, you'll know what you done wrong.
Good catch guys!
I used to lift pallets of concrete blocks with my 680 front end loader. I slid 4x4's through the pallet where you would normally slide the forks. I then put 4x4's on top of the blocks for spreaders to prevent the chains from pinching the blocks. It worked quite well.
@aighead my understanding is he has no hook on his bucket like that, hence my suggestion of wrapping a chain around the bucket.
Oh, yeah, that makes sense. My loader bucket has some holes in there that I tie off to, usually, I didn't think about not all buckets being that way. For better or worse I've added a beefy d-ring kind of thing to two of the holes so I don't bend things up too bad. I don't know the name of the ring thing, but it's the kind that screws open and closed. Not a carabiner, I don't think but like that.
Huh, I have never had any bucket, that the first thing I did was weld chain hooks on, if it didn’t have them already. I only have 1 on the hoe bucket thats on it now but I have a slip hook and a grab hook on my front bucket.
Hey Aighead..... is that a 'stone screed' you have rigged up there....?? or are you in the parking lot business?
More or less a stone screed! My neighbor acquired a big pile of them (that are now mine if I go grab them) and I was attempting to use them for leveling dirt or the driveway or whatever. There are probably 12 in varying states of disrepair in a pile over there. I'm not sure what I'll do with that many other than maybe use them as weight to put on top of wood slabs, should I ever mill something.