Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B question

Bigchuck ยท 2020-05-16 10:30

Father in law passed away and inherited his Case 580B backhoe. unfortunately all the info on the tractor passed with him. I found serial tag on the cowl just below rear loader cylinder arm, tag says 580B and underneath that it says 5203990. How do i decode these numbers to give me info for parts etc.? We will be keeping this in the family since it was his pride and joy. I have operated many different types of equipment for over 40 years and love the old style Case Backhoes. I want to finish his project of restoring it to its original beauty. He has already done the diesel engine, backhoe valve bank, and many other parts. I need to finish swapping out some more hoses, repair and repack a few hydraulic cylinders, and eventually paint it. Thank you for your help with the SN decode, and will enjoy reading on this forum

Replies10
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-05-16 12:33

    I am sorry for your loss. The serial number you listed is for the loader, there is one for the backhoe also left side and you're standing behind tractor looking forward just above the stabilizer should say 35 backhoe. The serial number for the tractor is on the steering collum just below the steering wheel on right side. If tag is missing look up around the radiator mount on left side of tractor, should be stamped into mount there. The easiest way to get cylinder packing kit if you go through the dealer is to use the cylinder part number stamped in the gland where the rod comes out.

  2. #2Bigchuck2020-05-16 13:05

    Thank you for your response. So the tag described only gives sn for loader attachment, I know this particular tractor was only made between 1971-1976. I will be headed back to camp where its located mid week, I will check for the numbers in other locations you described. Thank you again.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2020-05-16 18:38

    You are welcome as far as the year you may be able to look it up online but I'm not sure I never worried a bout year models of machines just serial number breaks.

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-05-16 20:00

    Welcome to HEF, Bigchuck !

  5. #5Bigchuck2020-05-25 16:27

    Thanks, found mt sn tag by the steering column. Model- 580B CK, SN- 8744695 will that give me a year in the SN?

  6. #6Bigchuck2020-05-25 16:27

    Thanks for the welcome@ Great reading on this forum!

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-05-25 17:21

    It is a 1974 according to my serial number info.

  8. #8Willie B2020-05-25 20:51

    I know little about the 580B. My son just bought one. I've had a 580K 14 years, another 580K before that. The B is significantly different from the K. The learning will be ongoing. Thus far it has had a few cylinders repacked, two rear tires, a set of tire chains, and a complete set of filters & new oils. Still needs front bucket rebuild, & some rear bucket repairs.

  9. #9willie592020-05-25 21:21

    A machine of that vintage, be sure and check the oil in the transmission, water has a way of getting in there on those old machines.

  10. #10Bigchuck2020-07-28 08:24

    Thanks, I plan to since my Father In Law had issues with hills and reverse before he passed. I will be giving it a thorough going over before I work it at all.