Bad luck all around.Now I have shuttle oil coming out of the shuttle vent on the top of the shuttle valve.This does not happen in forward only in reverse. In forward everything is fine but in reverse she is weak and oil is being redirected out the vent. Could this be a bad gasket? Thats all I can think of. Any thoughts on this problem? Thanks
Not checking back on any previous posts, if the problem started after work has been done on the shuttle, then make sure both of your 2 upper gaskets are correct. The early ones are different(pre machine #8314666). A38029 is the middle one and A38030 is the top one, for a 580B I believe. If the top gasket is incorrect, it won't cause your problem, but keep in mind it is possible to have this gasket in place, upside down. Not sure what happens then . What oil are you using? Phil
Phil I am using Case tch. You may remember I had a split in the muffler which super heated the lines going to the filter in front of the radiator.I have done some work on the shuttle and she ran great for a few weeks until I started having the heating problem.Could the high fluid temp have weakened the gasket causing it to be redirected out the vent? This only happens in reverse forward it great. Thanks
I'm in doubt that overheated oil has caused your problem, however...... I think hydraulic oil is affected by high temperatures though, from 250-300F. You could always change it if you are in question. Next time it does it, shut it off, then immediately check the dipstick opening, and see if the oil is foamy, and the level is okay. Correct oil level is only about 1 1/2"up on that dipstick, which is about 8" long. As I recall the passage below the shuttle vent is open right to the torque tube interior. You should be able to remove the vent and pour oil down it into the compartment, as a check. The vent filter is removable for cleaning also. What does your dash gauge show when in reverse, and is reverse weak when the oil is still cold? Phil
I created a heat shield between the muffler and the shuttle lines with a coffee can. I changed out the oil and everything seems to be fine. thanks It will not be long I will know this old girl inside and out.
I have heard that hydraulic oil has an anti foaming additive. I can only guess at this point what really happened. Phil
Sorry to Hijack this thread, I'm new so gotta ring up my post count to start new threads. Just got a 1975 580B, I've been cruising this forum for a few weeks researching before we made the purchase. Anyways, we got her home, and it's in great shape. Started collecting up the serial numbers to see what exactly we have, and we're a little stuck with the transmission numbers. the serial number on the tranny is 2458850, and there is a large R stamped to the far left of the plate in line with the serial number. We would like to identify which shuttle system we have. We know it's a power shuttle, but is it Rockford or Twin Disk? Is there a way to tell from the serial number and that R stamp? Thanks guys. Sorry to branch off. FOD
All I know on the subject is that some 580B's have an R or a T stamped to the far right of the machine serial #. This serial# is attached to the steering column on the right side. This letter usually it indicates which shuttle you have, but they do get changed. Only way to know for sure is to remove the shuttle cover and look. Phil
Thanks a lot Phil. I got another question if you don't mind. To the left of the park brake and to the right of the throttle is a about a 1 1/2 " sized round 'knob' on the floor. When I pulled it up, it just came out with nothing attached to it. when I look down the hole, it looks like it fits onto a linkage of some sort just forward of the transmission. Could this be a PTO? If you need, I could go and get a pic of it. I tried to find this in the parts catalogue, but no luck so far, and I don't have any manuals at the moment. Thanks, and soooo sorry to take this thread in another direction. Fod
Probably the differential lock 'pedal'. It attaches to the lever on the right brake cover. Phil