Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B shuttle dip stick

TD-5 ยท 2009-07-11 23:20

Greetings, I have a 1973 580B thats been a slave to the ranch for many years. Over the last couple years I've been attending to a lot of its heatlh problems, rebuilt all cylinders,new hoses, rebuilt the swing tower, many new pins bushings, shuttle control v/v..... & the list goes on. One thing I have never got to the bottom of is on the shuttle lube oil dip stick where should the full & add marks be, say as measured from the cover plate where the threaded hole is(was) down. At some point before I got the machine someone welded a pipe nipple into the original hole & made a new stick. The bottom couple of inches on the stick are flattened with some nurling so you can see the oil on the stick, but no Full- Add marks? A few pictures:

Replies6
  1. #1tloft2009-07-12 09:30

    Holy Mackerel TD, what a great restoration .. I won't try to answer your question but I would probably check the stick next time you change the fluid then make your mark there. Tom

  2. #2Russelln2009-07-12 10:01

    I agree, Next time you replace the fluids, leave it a couple of quarts low and mark the stick and then fill it to manufactures specs and mark the stick. I would make those marks with a die grinder on a dremal tool so that they will always be there. Awesome looking machine..

  3. #3TD-52009-07-12 13:00

    Thanks for the kind comments, I have actually done as you suggested so I have a general idea of where it should be. My manual states it holds 16 qts ( 15.1 ltrs), but doesn't say if that is a completely dry unit, i.e. no oil in the torque converter. There is no drain plug in my torque converter so it retains an unknown quantity of oil. It seems happy where the level is, I was just curious where the original level marks would have been & how close I am.

  4. #4Phil2009-07-12 20:44

    A nice B, nice pictures, with the hills in the background. I don't have a B anymore but there are several working on B's here that might measure their dipstick for you. I don't recall an add mark, just a line. Interesting bucket. Phil

  5. #5NJfarmer2009-07-12 21:07

    Same TD I have the same machine and year, but my cab is enclosed, very hot in the summer. I will admit mine is not in same shape as yours. One day it will get a new coat of paint. It has been running good till yesterday. While loading a bucket of road millings I stripped a tooth of my left hand side gear. Luckly for me my youngest boy is a diesel mechanic and he has the rear end apart and we are waiting on the arivial of a new gear. Nice job on the restore.

  6. #6TD-52009-07-12 22:19

    Phil, I think the bucket was replaced sometime in the past, there is no evidence on the rest of the tractor that it came with a 4n1. The bucket is welded closed & there are slots cut thru the lower back corners of it. It looks like they had forks pinned to the bottom cylinder mounts thru the slots. NJ, thanks, but I must admit, it really wasn't a full resto, just fixed up the major issues & gave it a coat of paint.... it looked pretty ugly before the splash of paint. I still need to go back into the brakes & fix the oil leak from the diff lock shaft on the RH side, that brake is pretty useless when its contaminated with oil. I could sure use your cab up here in the winter. LOL