I think I have discovered the reason my 580 has stopped moving well. Whe I drained the oil and and drilled the hole to clean the pickup screen I took a magnet and fished around before putting the plugs back in. What I found looks to bee the remains of a torrington bearing of som sort. A little bit of cage and a handful of needle bearings. Still waiting for my manual and parts catalog, but if anyone has a diagram showing the pump and shuttle parts for a '72 580b, I can try to discern where it used to live.
thanks to the good people at Minnparr. Here is a link to all of the 580B manuals. https://minnpar.com/manuals5.aspx?FName=CASE (CNH) MANUALS&SFName=CNH (CASE) LOADER BACKHOE MANUALS&SSFName=BACKHOE (CASE) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS&SSSFName=CASE 580B
I found the bearings I believe to be the one in question. They are numbers 2,7, and 12 in the forward and reverse drums.
Time to pull it before its gets even worse.
I am buried in work right now, so it will likely have to wait until it gets really comfortable outside, like August, before I can tear it apart. Scope creep can be terrible on projects like these. Now I need to decide if I want to rebuild the whole thing or repair it. Then do I need to do anything to the torque converter? Anything else while it is apart? Since all the parts coming out will end up clean it would be a shame to not paint them. Should I use the original color, or the tan that is on it now?
Don’t half ass it. Do a complete overhaul with a rebuild kit, comes with the bearings, gaskets, and seals. There is more than enough experience here in this forum to help you with anything you may need in tech info and experience.
Looks like I need to wait until it is apart before I order parts too.
Good idea. You need to make sure your shaft and drums are reusable.