Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310B Backhoe Hydraulic Hose Installation Technique

Scout_1969 · 2021-05-27 06:35

What are some techniques to loosen and tighten- the 6 hoses that go from the controls to block on backhoe? There's 2 or 3 that are really difficult with other hoses on and just a little easier with the other hoses off on both ends. Tubing/crows feet I have won't work. Even tried cutting the box and open ends of cheap wrenches and used stubby wrenches, I'm still not confident they will hold. They loosened already and leaked due to me twisting the hose.

Replies9
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-05-27 08:21

    It is quite normal to remove 2 or 3 hoses to get at the one that is being replaced. At least one end of the hose will have a swivel on it. Or it is screwed into a swivel that is separate from the hose.

  2. #2_Weldman_2021-05-27 08:35

    And you might have to sacrifice a few open end wrenches to grind them down to fit the hose and the other fitting going into the valve block.

  3. #3Scout_19692021-05-27 08:43

    Thanks for the reply. Luckily both ends have swivels they all line up unfortunately making it tight. If they were extended, staggered or spaced further apart, even 1/4” would help. I’ll see how it goes. Here’s pictures of what I’m working with.

  4. #4Scout_19692021-05-27 08:48

    I may have to modify them even more, maybe thinner. The box end cuts are weak. There’s not a narrow spot near fitting to slide up and over like tubing wrenches. Unfortunately I don’t have pictures of my two, but would like to see what others have done.

  5. #5Swetz2021-05-27 09:56

    I have had luck with this style wrench. Not selling the brand, but they had a pic on google.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-05-27 11:42

    That arrangement looks normal to me. I don't see any reason a crowsfoot wrench on 1/2 drive extension and a breaker bar or ratchet would be a problem. Ya have to use an extension to get the head of the ratchet away from the fitting.

  7. #7Vetech632021-05-27 16:56

    You may need a midget Olympian contortionist. I believe she is currently helping another poster get a filter on his dozer.

  8. #8skyking12021-05-27 17:38

    What he said about the order of March. Sometimes you have to dig away to get to the "one" This set of hoses on the 120 was fun.

  9. #9Vetech632021-05-27 18:51

    A good quality 12 point crows foot is your friend........not those HF ones either. I’ve even used air chisel with a flat bit on the flats too loosen and tighten that kind of stuff.