Hey just joined and have been reading alot on sluggish 580b. I have 1975 580b and i have been changing the fluid. Im still getting white milk type fluid out. I have seen some have drilled out the bottom. Trying to find out how to do that and once you have done that how do you clean the screen and flush it out. What would be the best thing to flush with. ANYONE WITH ANY PICTURES AND INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL. Thanks Brian
1) Welcome to the forums Brian Wade 2) I would use the cheap hydraulic fluid then run it for a week if it’s lightly white it was about 3 week befor it was clear for me. 3) I used a vacuum duck tape and some metal flex tube small and a car view camera to clean out where they talked about a screen but I never seen the screen it self
and I changed the filters three times
580b I ran some diesal through and let it soak for about an hour. Changed filter and fluid and ran it slow up hill and reverse. Sounds like it is straining the engine. I was thinking maybe the tube was stopped up. I read on here that you need to drop the plan and clean the screen. The only pan i can think that they are talking about would be the oil pan? Do you think if i run more fluid and change the filter a few more times that would do. Should I have seen a little of a change on the first time. Sorry for all the questions just bought it about a week ago.
Also at what point do you decide to drill and clean out the tube area.
What is the pressure guage on the dash showing? Did you find anything in the filter? Are you changing the filter front of the radiator behind the grill? I don't remember where I saw it now,but somone has posted pictures on here about where to drill and tap the transmission to clean the screen. Did you drain the torque converter and torque converter housing when you changed the transmission fluid. If the guage on the dash is not staying in the green (original guage) You have a pressure issue possibly due to the screen being plugged up. I bought a military style guage that reads 0 to 500lbs to replace my guage with. I got it on ebay. They are still listed there if you need one. Transmission pressure on dash guage should be 165lbs. to 195lbs.
If it were mine I would do it immediately. You will see why when you read post #23. The instructions for drilling the hole are in post #34. It is all here; Phil was/is an expert on 580Bs.
580b My pressure gauge doesn't. Work. I found one that looks to be hooked to the pump. I have the fluid drained now so not sure if it works. My filter in front was full of milky fluid. I took your advise I drilled and found the screen flushed out and black gasket type material came out enough that would stop it up. Flushed again today and will again Tomm . I have a problem trying to tap the hole can't seem to get it started hard to keep level and hold up. I hope I haven't messed up.
Brian Wade If you cant tap it they do make rubber Drain Twist Plugs that seal ok not the best. I would still try to tap the hole its going to be better if you do. But thats :my2c
580b drilling and tapping I found out that my hole was to small for my tap. I was told to use the 7/8 and wallow it out a bit and work your tap slowly in there. So im not sure weather to drill again and try that. Im not sure how some of the guys that have had success held that up level to get a good start on it. My tap now will go in and it feels like you are getting a bite on it and then it comes out. I agree with reddeath that a tap hole would be better and im hoping to acheive that. Any ideas on this topic thanks to all who have given me advise i enjoy working on things and the only way to learn is to ask. So all imput I welcome and appreciate.
Brian; I don't know what size pipe plug you are threading for, but it should go into the correct size hole fairly easily. Here is a link to the drill bit sizes to use. http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardware References/drillsizeforpipetaps.htm
I was going off of what i read. Was going to put a 3/4 plug and was old to drill to a 7/8 but couldnt get it started. Its not off by much and picked up a new bit. Told it was to small. Thanks for the site
Just an update. I drilled a size bigger was able to get it threaded and plugged. I found black paper gasket material i think inside. Filled back up with transmission fluid. It helped im going to run for a bit and change and clean out again. I seen that some run tc fluid and other run the td. Not sure what the difference is but also read some will mix a 50/50 blend with reg transmission fluid. Might try that if i get more info. Im sure im going to have to drain several more times to get all the milky stuff out. What a site this is for new guys i have learned alot from all post. Thanks again for all in put still going through machine. I confirmed my gauges dont work. I think i put in a prior post that there is a gauge coming from the pump at idle yesterday was at 200. Going to change all fluid and start getting the gauges working. Thanks for all your time and input. Brian
Ebay has a guage listed that I bought for my 580 B. It fit in the dash where the old one was. Listed as a military style transmission guage. Reads 0 to 400 psi. Cost around 26.00 plus about 7.00 for shipping. Pressure on dash guage should be 165 to 195. Mine runs 175. If you are talking about the pump in front of radiator, that is the hydralic pump. It has nothing to do with the transmission. The only guage on my hydralic system is near the hydralic filter housing on right side near cab. That guage is the filter restriction. The higher the pressure it reads the more clogged the filter is. The transmission filter is in the front of the radiator behind the grill and to the left of the hydralic pump. I hope I am not confusing you. My transmission and hydralic system both had the white milky fluid. I thought at first they were one and the same. Not so two different systems. FYI Loader arms are tanks for the hydralic system.
I have never tried this but I think it might work. Drain the contaminated hyd fluid out with all you cylinders extended one way or the other. Fill with the cheapest fluid you can find. Crank it just long enough to extend all the cylinders the opposite direction and shut it off. Drain the tank again and refill with more of the cheap fluid. After some use then do this again with whatever fluid you plan to run. I just know all the cylinders holds several gallons of fluid and is this has water in it, it would be REAL important to get it out. Does it sit out in the rain? If so find the boot that is leaking or whatever allowed the contamination...
Did this work?