Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580b tachometer

cabin · 2013-08-24 21:09

Hi all, I am restoring the dash instruments on a 580b. I removed the tach drive cable, cleaned it, and the tach works when running with a drill, so I think the drive gear is bad. I removed the threaded fitting from the block. The gear stud turns freely, but I cannot get the gear to come out of the block. Any advice on how to remove it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies21
  1. #1Tinkerer2013-08-24 22:47

    Here is a link I think may have your answer.

  2. #2cabin2013-08-25 09:26

    Thanks, this is just the information I needed. Does anyone know if an aftermarket part is made. Case wants over 0ne hundred dollars

  3. #3Tinkerer2013-08-25 10:28

    A quick Google search shows that Case # A38942 OEM is actually a few dollars cheaper than an aftermarket one. Verify the number to be sure it is correct.

  4. #4cabin2013-09-05 21:08

    I was looking for something to fit the tach drive inner threads and found that a one half inch compression tube fitting will fit perfectly. I used a half inch tubing to half inch pipe adapter, welded a 3/8 bolt to a pipe cap, screwed the cap on the adapter, slipped a short section of pipe over the drive, used a large fender washer over the bolt and pipe, tightened the nut and it came right out. A simple puller but it worked great.I have a new drive ordered. Thanks again for the information.

  5. #5tracing2018-08-01 20:19

    1071 case 580b, i bought a new cable, disconnected it from both ends will only release from the gauge end, cable is not broke. placed cable in gauge would not turn, worked it with a wrench and it freed up, now a little rust dust in the glass. cable will not pull out of the engine, i surmise that tractor sat gauge froze tractor started and ruined the drive gear from frozen gauge. at over 100 bucks for a gear for an obsolete method to gather rpm data, i think i will just pull all the gauges and make a glass panel using an arduino controller and a touch screen display for all functions, temps pressure fuel rpm etc... cost to monitor everything digitally is under 100 bucks not that hard, i created tempanerd, temp sensing for all 20 batteries in hybrid cars. (manufacturers only monitor 4 and guess at the rest)

  6. #6tracing2018-08-02 12:16

    i used a front end loader, tied the tach cable to the bucket and pulled so hard it was beyond a guitar string, way beyond, and the tach cable would not release from the cam gear, finally it pulled loose from the cam gear cable end by snapping, i think its stuck im not going to repair that, stupid way to get rpms from an engine, ill build a glass panel and use a hal sensor for rpm

  7. #7JGuild2022-02-06 08:39

    I have been reading stuff related to the 580b on this forum since I’ve owned mine (approximately 2 years) and it has definitely helped me out with my machine. Mine in particular is a 1975 with power shuttle with extendahoe and open ROPS and I’ve slowly been making improvements. When installing the new tach drive gear, as it is pressed in place is there any gasket or seal to be used? Is there any worry about sloppiness/slack or leaking for that matter when the new drive gear is installed? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. JGuild

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-02-06 22:07

    Welcome to HEF, JGuild ! The drive has no gasket or seal. You can put a coat of oil on it and then gently tap it in until the top of it is flush with the block.

  9. #9JGuild2022-02-07 06:40

    Thanks, Tinkerer. This isvaluable information. My plan is to replace all gauges. Tach gauge is busted out, tach cable is connected to drive gear at block and and is broken in half at the guage and doesn’t spin when running. Just trying to find the time to go through the rats nest of wiring to get it re-wired with new gauges/tach etc. Just testing old parts so I can collect replacement parts and looking for the time. Thanks again, JGuild

  10. #10Tinkerer2022-02-07 07:31

    You are most welcome JG. If you have an eBay account. This is a link to an Ebay offer for the gauges.

  11. #11JGuild2022-02-07 09:34

    Right on! Thanks for the info

  12. #12JGuild2022-02-07 09:43

    BTW, does it matter that the ammeter in this set of gauges you sent me is only 20amp? If I’m not mistaken it is a 60amp circuit, but I could be wrong. I’m not an electrician by any means so I’m not sure if it makes a difference. Thanks

  13. #13Tinkerer2022-02-07 10:39

    It would be better if it was 30 amps which is all you need. The 20 will work. It will just go to the limit when the charge rate exceeds the maximum reading. IMHO of course. Normally the one I have usually only climbs to 15 amps briefly after starting the motor even in freezing weather. The OEM tachometer is about $400.00 from a CNH dealer.

  14. #14JGuild2022-02-07 14:50

    Yes, I’ve been researching all that. I don’t need anything that expensive. I was able to find a brand new-in box tach drive gear on EBay and talk the seller down a bit as a brand new one through Case is 800+. Too rich for me. Thanks again for all the great info.

  15. #15JGuild2022-02-07 14:54

    BTW, Tinkerer, do you have a link to the correct tach cable? JGuild

  16. #16Tinkerer2022-02-07 14:56

    Be careful on the gear purchase so you get the correct one. Case drives are very specific to the blocks they fit. Just because it fits in the hole doesn't mean the tach drive gear matches the camshaft gear. I don't have info on the cable. I bought my last one from the local CNH dealer. If your 580B has the 188 diesel the tach uses. DRIVE ASSY. #A38942 --->from the parts book

  17. #17JGuild2022-02-07 15:27

    Exactly what I got via that part #. Struggling to find tach cable #A39403. I don’t want something that won’t fit either end. If you have a good resource I’m all ears/eyes. Thanks

  18. #18Tinkerer2022-02-07 16:51

    Do you need the complete cable assembly or just the core ?

  19. #19JGuild2022-02-07 17:08

    Complete

  20. #20Tinkerer2022-02-07 19:39

    Contact this vendor and ask for the threaded end sizes. He may have the one you need. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2829134521...VWY5bE%2Bg%3D%3D|clp:2334524|tkp:BFBMrPuN7Npf

  21. #21JGuild2022-02-07 20:26

    Thanks, will do. Appreciate all your help.