Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B Transmission top plate

City Gate Mission ยท 2017-09-30 13:52

I was left holding my shifter in my hand after it failed at the pin hole. I was able to nurse it into neutral (I think), and tried to pull the top plate to weld the rod back up. With the bolts removed, I am able to lift the rear edge of the plate about 1/2", but the front portion will not budge. Am I not in neutral? If not, how do I get there with a broken shifter?

Replies3
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2017-09-30 14:23

    You have to shift both forks all the way forward to remove the top plate on these machines, the shift rods hit the housing if you don't.

  2. #2City Gate Mission2017-09-30 14:30

    Do I have to sneak under the plate to do this, or can I get them from the outside? I can only lift the rear of the plate.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2017-10-01 15:05

    If the shifter rails are not broken you can do it from the outside, with your shift levers, the rear one may have to be pushed a little more when you raise it up but not much.