Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B – Twin disc rebuild/piston travel question

bkj110 ยท 2021-10-23 18:59

Hi all, Finally got around to getting this thing back together. The faces on both hubs of the shuttle were not even close to being flat/true, so into the lathe they went. Around .035" cut on the reverse hub, and .020" on the fwd hub. So, I'm now measuring/stacking the discs and the manual says i need .095" to 1.015" of movement for the clutches to not hang when disengaged. With the cuts, I have 1.030" of available movement on the reverse side & 1.020" of movement on the forward side. The manual makes no mention of a maximum, just shimming between the hubs and the piston carrier to achieve somewhere in that .095 to 1.015 range. I was going to take a cut on the hub gear faces to get down to 1.005" half way range but before I did that, I thought I'd ask first...Anyone run into this? (yes, I know that's not how this thing goes together, but that was the easiest way to mount/hold them and make sure they're square with respect to the shaft). Thanks!

Replies1
  1. #1bkj1102021-10-24 09:14

    Forgot to include the manual shots.