Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B Twin disc shuttle disassembly

bkj110 · 2021-05-02 21:09

Based on what I see, I should be able to push the whole shebang off the end of the shaft, correct? I ask because I had it in the 20 ton press earlier and bent my press plates without anything moving. Also - whoever put that together had a steel plate against the piston ‍♂️.

Replies3
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-05-03 16:07

    That doesn't look like a twin-disc but rather a rockford shuttle.

  2. #2melben2021-05-03 17:06

    Coy, it looks like a Twin Disk to me, the Rockfords had the clutch packs that were an assembly with a spring loaded center. the Twin Disk had the valves in the edge of the pistons which are not shown in those pics, The Rockfords clutch packs had snap rings holding them together, a snap ring then a plate and another snap ring. That being said, I sure hope for his sake it is a Rockford, I always hated rebuilding the Twin Disk, Rockfords were so easy even a cave man could do it once you followed the service manual the first time. No clearance setups, reseal them and slide them together.

  3. #3bkj1102021-05-03 20:06

    The manual I have shows both Rockford and Twin Disc - it's definitely a twin disc based on the parts coming out of it. Now that I've got a fresh look at it, I'm not going to be able to press the reverse basket off with the clutch discs & pistons with it (as I was attempting). What's the smart way to get these pistons/carrier off the shaft? @melben