Hi, These forums have really helped me to learn about issues that affect this backhoe and I appreciate the resource. I just recently purchased a 580C that needs some love. I have added some paint and I am working my way through the mechanical issues. When I got it I discovered that it had no coolant in it and when I added it it was coming out under the water pump. I've pulled out the radiator so I can see what is happening and the leak is between the water pump and the lower part of the case. It looks to me like someone has put silicone on there, but maybe there is a joiner that has degraded. I bought the service manual but that does not make it clear what is there, it talks about a one piece or two piece manifold. Can someone please look at these photos and tell me which engine model this is and what I should do about this leak. Silicone seems like a dumb idea, but JB weld would work if it is just low pressure hot water. Otherwise it looks like I would need the water pump and top and bottom case replaced.... Thanks in advance for the help! Rolf in Australia
Welcome to HEF, Rolf ! It should be a Case 207 engine. The soapy water makes it hard to determine what I'm seeing. I'm guessing the coupling (#4) has an 'O' ring (#6) leaking. Here is a link to the parts manual. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...ngine/cn/B2127B5B-8FBF-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6
Thanks for the info. Looking at the engine and the photos I can find on the net I agree with you that it looks like the 207 to me as well. It seems that I have the 2 piece water pump and timing gear housing option in the repair manual. It looks like there is a hole in the neck that joins from the timing gear housing onto the water pump and this is where the previous owner put the silicone to try and stop the water leaking out. I think that to fix the issue properly I would need to replace the timing gear housing, but I can't find one online. Plan B is going to be to use JB weld to patch over the hole and see if that holds water and lasts. I guess if the JB weld fails the next plan will be to pull the housing and pump off and see if I can repair them before refitting. I've attached a better photo showing the damaged area. Would this be damage from freezing?
Don't take a chance on JB Weld holding up to that damage. If it failed and you didn't see it in time you could seriously damage the motor from overheating. Those covers are available at salvage yards. It will take lot of emails and phone calls. For a start call Dale Wiess. Here -----> http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/
Just love that custom belt backup system, no need to remove the pump if you smoke a belt, But two extras? I would do a thorough inspection of the pulleys for a sharp spot/ alignment problem, the previous owner may have had some issues...JB weld works for a multitude of sins , but don't think this is a good one, if a chunk breaks off inside of housing you've just created another problem..If you plan on pulling the part anyway, you can probably get it welded fairly cheap...that is if you can't find another one....