Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B window install

Singletree ยท 2010-04-10 22:52

What is the right way to install a window into a Case 580B. I broke a window last fall and would like to get a new one in place. I have tried a couple of times this winter but the cold temps didn't help, so I have given up until now as it has warmed up. I put the rubber trim on the glass and a strong thin rope - string in the frame groove. Holding the glass next to the frame opening and pulling the string to open the groove to accept the frame didn't get my window in place. Was this the right way to do the job? Or does someone have a better way or trick to get my window in place. John

Replies8
  1. #1ddiiggy2010-04-11 01:07

    The only time I did a stationary window was a truck windshield ~30 years ago. We put the rubber on the frame and had the rope in the glass groove. It SOUNDS like it should work.

  2. #2jd12342010-04-11 01:56

    I just did some windows in my Ford TLB cab with weatherstrip as shown below. Tips: Make sure the new window has a minimum clearance of .312 inches between the edge of the glass and the steel opening all the way around. To check this I used some extra small strips of weatherstripping placed at the top and bottom of the opening to hold the glass and ran a 5/16" dia. wood dowel all around. You need to measure your weatherstrip at the center section to see if you're at .312 inches or maybe .250 inches. If the clearance was not there I used a 4 1/2 disc sander to open up where needed. I had some 1/4 inch tempered glass made from a wood template, the guys at the glass plant sometimes drifted. Clean the old weatherstripping with soap and water to clean out any dirt before installation. Replace the weatherstripping if it's hard and brittle. (Sims Cab Depot, JC Whitney) Prepare a spray bottle (32 oz.) with warm water and dish soap (2 oz.) Place the w-strip in the opening with the flap open toward the outside, spray the w-strip inside groove and the seams with soapy water all around. Slide bottom of window into the grooves starting at the bottom, lower the left bottom corner in with bottom right side corner elevated then push the the bottom right side down and in.(carefully) Get two corners inside the groove first. Spray more soapy water around. Hold window! Take dull flat blade screwdriver and start pryin up the w-strip at one of the corners you have the glass in. Spray more soapy water when needed. Work your way around the window, sometimes jumpin side to side. Being able to push the w-strip from inside the cab at times helps when needed. Always pry the w-strip away from the glass of course. After the window is fully seated in the groove spray more soapy water. Begin at the w-strip seam start pushing the flap in all around, again with the dull screwdriver. Once you get it started you can push it in with your fingers. Start top or bottom, left or right on the window, depends on shape. Warm outside temps of at least 60 deg F, the proper clearance, soapy water.. Good luck,

  3. #3Phil2010-04-11 07:05

    Even with new weatherstripping it can be a tough job and I don't remember one that wasn't. I have used dish-washing liquid for lube, and I have an old Craftsman screwdriver with a 90 deg bend that helps. It's a two man job and I never had the rope trick work for me. Professionals can pop them in like candy but they will ask for new stripping unless the old stuff is very soft. You have my condolences. Phil

  4. #4Tinkerer2010-04-11 08:06

    I spent a long time on the internet searching for the correct size of weatherstripping (Also referred to as Trimloc) that I needed. I had to find the best price I could because I was doing an entire cab. When I bought the machine all the windows were either broken or missing . I found a company called Perfectfit.com. They have a large selection of weatherstripping and edge trim. They were also the cheapest by far of everywhere I looked. I also purchased all the replacement glass online. I again found a company, in I think it was Louisiana that was really reasonable on the glass price and he also include free shipping.

  5. #5Singletree2010-04-11 16:05

    Thanks for the help. It is funny how you get an idea in your head that is wrong but it isn't until the obvious is pointed out that you just don't see the right way to do something. I will take the weather stripping off the glass and put in the window opening and give it another try. My weather stripping is the same as the one you showed us jd1234, so with the help of some soapy water I hope I will get it in tomorrow. John

  6. #6mrmomo2010-04-24 20:38

    Very nice - I need to replace most of my windows as the previous owner used plexiglass, and its all hazed and I cant see through it... WHICH model # of the weather stripping did you use ? AS-987?

  7. #7Tinkerer2010-04-25 10:10

    My cab required two different sizes of trimloc. The roof is 1/4" steel. I made the doors with 1/4" aluminum sheet stock. The windshield and side windows are 1/8" steel. All the windows were made with 1/4" laminated glass at a local glass shop. The StanPro numbers I used were AS987 and AS990.

  8. #8Tinkerer2010-04-25 16:59

    I need to clarify this part of my previous thread. The steel surrounding the OPENINGS for the windshield and side windows are 1/16", NOT 1/8". The trimloc I purchased for the roof (1/4" thick steel) would be to loose if I used it for the windshield and side windows.