Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C barely moves, wont idle up when in gear

Frank Vincent ยท 2020-07-29 11:07

Hey everyone noobie here. Lots of great info on this site. I have a 1979 580C that starts and runs fine but has little or no power when moving forward or backward. I put a rebuild kit in the shuttle thinking that might help but it has not. I have noticed that when the shuttle is in neutral the engine will idle up just fine but when it is in gear it seems that the engine just wont rev. Could this be a weak injector pump or a torque converter issue or maybe a flow issue inside the shuttle? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1jimg9842020-07-29 12:25

    release park brake

  2. #2Frank Vincent2020-07-29 12:39

    We have not messed with the parking brake (not even to engage it) but I will check and make sure the cable and whatnot is in good order. Thanks

  3. #3alrman2020-07-29 16:42

    Welcome to HEF @Frank Vincent "Idle up" .... . I am assuming you mean running the engine at maximum RPM? A stall test comparing transmission stall rpm & hydraulic stall rpm should indicate if your engine power is ok. A failed torque converter is often the cause of most power shuttle rebuilds. The test procedure is in the service manual.

  4. #4Frank Vincent2020-07-29 16:47

    Yes, that is what I mean. I will see about testing the power. Thank you!

  5. #5melben2020-07-29 17:18

    Sounds to me like the sprag has failed in the Torque Converter, that is a classic symptom. If the hydraulics work normal and do not drag the engine down the engine power is ok, my money is on the sprag failure.

  6. #6Frank Vincent2020-07-29 17:56

    The engine and hydrolics seems to work fine together. I will be out to work on it tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

  7. #7Frank Vincent2020-08-01 20:23

    UPDATE: we got the torque converter off of the hoe today. We found that it was leaking and maybe half full. A new one is a bit spendy but better than a whole new machine. Thanks for your input. I will let you know when we get it back together and if it works. Thanks again to everyone.

  8. #8melben2020-08-02 10:58

    Did you check with Case on a reman with exchange, I felt their price was reasonable when I used to do this stuff, but I have been out of it for 6 years now and prices may have gone nuts.

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-08-02 13:38

    Verify yourself if this is the correct one. A new D71758 torque convertor is available at joseph industries. I have spent a few dollars there with very good results. https://joseph.com/Parts_list.asp?Brand=Case&Type=Torque+Converters&Class=Torque+Converters+-+New,+Steel+Welded The stupid new online parts book did not have the part number. Just like so many other parts. Prolly in the hundreds.

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2020-08-02 21:48

    I do not like the new format on the Case website

  11. #11Tinkerer2020-08-02 21:53

    The format is horrible, but why on earth would they delete all those different part numbers. That makes no sense. I got Franks torque convertor part number from a file in my computer.

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2020-08-02 21:59

    They are probably scrubbing all the old parts that they can't get anymore

  13. #13mitch5042020-08-02 22:09

    Yeah, cause they don't want to give us free info. I am expecting CNH to say "contact your dealer" for more stuff in the near future. I work on the New Holland ag side a lot, and I hate CNH and my local dealer more everyday.

  14. #14Frank Vincent2020-08-05 12:38

    Thanks for all the parts information. I ended up getting one ordered and some other odds and ends for the hoe and was out the door under $700. If all goes well it will be installed by Monday. You guys are an incredible resource, THANK YOU

  15. #15Frank Vincent2020-08-31 17:21

    UPDATE: everything is installed and functioning normally! It is moving forward and backward like a champ. I can't thank everyone enough for pointing me in the right direction. I ended up getting the torque converter from our local auto parts store after he called the Case dealership and got the part number from them. Then I had a New Holland shop in the next town mount the converter onto the flex plate within spec. Thanks again, it was fantastic to see my dad with such a big smile on his face once we got it running.