Hi friends, New guy here from Sabinal, NM. I have a backhoe bucket that is missing two of four teeth. I may be able to find an appropriate sized adapters and teeth. the frog is about an inch thick. Will a little lincoln welder be able to get a good bead on thick steel?
Photos will make it easier to identify shanks. Model number will help identify welder.
New guy here, and not thumb savvy. I took a few shots of the bucket and welder, not smart enough to upload (download?). Phone is crappy coolpad3310, acer is the crappy refurbished laptop. Wish i wasnt thick as a brick
Welder is 250 amp Dayton AC-DC. Calls for 3/16" rod at the high amps. Not a welder kinda guy, but can be learnt something
That should be plenty of welder for what you need to do.
Thanks, I will go to town tomorrow and see if the right size adapter is available. Watch a couple of YT welding video, I should be good to go. When I figure out how to post, I will send some pix
Welcome to HEF, Bruce !
The teeth and adapters on my 575E bucket are Caterpiller Style J200. I used the single point "rock teeth" on mine and they are working and holding up great for digging out stumps and tearing into roots. Here is a eBay listing for 4 teeth and adapters. Not sure of quality. I was able to clean up and shape my existing adapters and bought my teeth from a CAT dealer. I was $100 out of pocket for just the teeth, pins, and retainers so the eBay deal is a good price for everything if they are of like quality to the OEM CAT stuff.
Interesting,I have a parts outfit nearby, and pic on this phone. If that is a bust I will try eBay
Thank you HEF.You are great!
Use a little preheat (250 deg's) and 5/32" 7018 rods will be fine. Should be in the 160-170 amp range. 3/16" need around 200 amps but can be a little intimidating if you're not used to bigger rods. Type of rod and proper fusion is usually more important than the size of the rods when stick welding. Preheat is never a bad idea on buckets and helps compensate for a smaller size of rod.
Hi welder Dave, This is the new guy who has a New Holland backhoe 555e. You helped me on welding teeth back on. That was about some years ago now. Today I have what seems like a slow leak on a rear tire, at the rim to bead connection. Is there a way to seal the tire without removing it to breakdown the tire and clean the rim or whatever? If that is slim to none, how much flame for how long on each lug nut? I have killed one breaker bar and extension already... Please help me again, if you can Welder Dave
Glad I could help you in the past. If you could deflate the tire and break the bead would be best. Most tire guys leave the rim on when changing or repairing tractor tires. You can get bead sealer to put on the rim. You have to be really really careful heating a rim or welding a rim with a tire installed. Best advice is don't do it as the tire can explode unexpectedly even several minutes later. Heating the lug nuts should be OK though but heat them one at a time and don't heat so long that the rim gets real hot. If you have an oxy/fuel torch or even just a portable propane torch heat the lug nuts till they're too hot to touch or smoking pretty good if you sprayed penetrating oil on them. You don't need to get them red hot. An impact wrench might help knock them loose. Are you using at least a 3/4" breaker bar? I could see a 1/2" breaking fairly easily. I rented a 1" drive Milwaukee cordless impact that had 1400lb./ft. loosening torque and 1000lb./ft. tightening torque for about $60 with a socket when I had to tighten eight 1 1/4" grade 8 bolts to mount the ripper on my grader. That might be the best option if they don't want to budge. Don't tighten them that much though.
I think the welder shortcoming is going to be duty cycle. It'll be a slow process to replace shanks, you'll have to let the welder cool down. I think your biggest challenge is getting the old shanks off. I've done it with acetylene torch. Some use arc gouging. Others use plasma. I think you can cut the weld with a grinder & cut off blade. If you use cut off blade use safety glasses plus a face shield, heavy tough jacket, gloves. I had one explode, broke one finger other hand & 14 stitches. Without a lot of top notch welding equipment you might want to hire a mobile welder.
I think the shanks were welded back in 2020.