Just got this hoe and it is pretty good shape for a twenty something year old machine. I've had an old 530 for over 20 years and it is on it's last leg. Anyway when I raise the hoe to it folded up position I am a good inch and a half from making up the latch that would hold it in the retracted position. The cylinders appear to be fully contracted. I'm probably missing something,but the hoe is still pretty tight. Any ideas.
I'm not sure of the model but the one I ran you had to move the boom quickly up. Then actually push it down once it got over center to lock it. It was strange but not to bad when you got used to it.
The serial # is missing but I'm sure it is a 79 or 80 model. Thanks for the reply Oarwhat, I did let the boom down about six or eight inches and then came up all at once. It may have got close to latching but I didn't want to get rough with it. The machine only has 2900 hours on it and the tach is still working so I believe the hours are real. I have plenty of time to figure it out as I have a brake to fix and repack about half the cylinders and install a new radiator. It has a cab and heater and that is a big plus in Wyoming as it was minus 10 degrees this morning.
Mule, Oarwhat is correct, It's an "overcenter" boom. Simply bring it up briskly and when the cylinder is fully contracted push out on the stick slightly to extentd the cylinder and it will bring the boom back those extra few inches. As he said it will seem strange at first but becomes second nature with use....
You have to throw the lever the other way as it gets to the top. Don't worry, the first time you do it it will seem pretty violent but after you get used to it it will be pretty easy.
Should have refreshed before post.
Thanks for all the input, I 'll figure out how to reply correctly on this forum with time.