Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb backhoe question

Lawnboy2121 ยท 2014-11-12 17:10

Hi everyone this is my first post on this site. I have an 1998 jcb 214 series 3 and it has a turbo charged Perkins in it just got the machine and have no books with it . My question is does that machine have any cold start aids on it like glow plugs or an intake heater on it and how do they start in the cold

Replies15
  1. #1CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-11-12 19:07

    they don't :bash:bash Whats the serial number, I/ll see what it was spec'd with

  2. #2Lawnboy21212014-11-12 19:49

    Thanks I will get the vin tomorrow

  3. #3d4c24a2014-11-13 15:18

    should have an intake heater ,will be easy to see visually if it has one

  4. #4Reynolds2014-11-22 12:06

    Your machine should have flame start

  5. #5Lawnboy21212014-11-22 14:33

    What is that and how do u use it I am only femilar with glow plugs any advice would be app

  6. #6woodfirst2014-11-22 16:11

    If you look above the intake manifold on the top right side of the engine you would see something resembling a spark plug sticking out of the intake with a wire and small fuel line connecting into it. To use it you held the key in the momentary on position without starting it for 10-12 seconds. The glow plug will heat and create an actual flame in the intake.

  7. #7Lawnboy21212014-11-22 16:16

    Does it work good and can u bench test them

  8. #8Delmer2014-11-22 16:18

    A flame start has a fuel line and electric cable going to it, it heats up and drips flaming fuel into the manifold. An intake heater will have a bigger gauge wire and no fuel line. Either will stick out of the intake manifold. The flame start usually has a hot start and cold start position for the key, turn one way to start with the heater, turn the key the other way to start when the engine is already warm. An intake heater is usually turned on before cranking to give it some time to warm up before cranking, just like glow plugs. This is general advice, I have no idea if your JCB has either or how they are used. Edit: I see I was too slow, and also, perhaps both of the posters were referring to the same device, instead of the electric grid intake heater that I was thinking of (no fuel line)

  9. #9hookedondiesel2014-11-23 06:02

    It's called a "thermostart", google it and you'll see what it looks like. If you turn the key "on" and then turn it a little further (without starting it) and hold the key in that position, you may be able to see smoke coming out of the air intake pipe.

  10. #10woodfirst2014-11-23 11:12

    It's Easy to bench test. Pull out and apply 12v to terminal while grounding the body and you should see it glow bright red. Testing on the machine just pull off the rubber intake hose and while someone is holding the key on(just before the start position) you should see first the coil glowing and eventually fuel dripping down into the intake.

  11. #11Lawnboy21212014-11-23 13:37

    Ok thanks I will check I t out tomorrow

  12. #12d4c24a2014-11-23 15:20

    its is also good to let some fresh diesel flow from the pipe too should look like this

  13. #13hookedondiesel2014-11-28 06:20

    Did you get this figured out, Lawnboy?

  14. #14Lawnboy21212014-11-28 13:41

    Not yet had a snow storm to deal with I am bringing the machine back home this weekend to check on it thanks is will let u know how it goes

  15. #15nascar32015-01-02 15:54

    i have the same thing on my 1700 b jcb it works very good just want to mention you should bleed any air that my be in the small fuel linejust loosen the nut and push the primer lever on the fuel pump