Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c boom pin

Buckeye Wes · 2025-01-16 18:25

New to me 580c. My question is my boom to swing tower pin. Case online parts shows 2 pins with sq locking deal on outside of tower. Mine has 1 pin running thru with snap rings and spacer bushings. Unfortunately the the pin was rotating with boom and wore the cast swing tower pretty severely. When looking at replacement pin at broken tractor they are showing same single pin. Am I wrong thinking pin should be fixed and boom should rotate on pin? And how would a pin with 2 snap ring not rotate in casting.

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-01-17 03:47

    Generally the pin is held in position. Could the bushing have turned in the swing tower? If the swing tower is cast steel it could be welded and line bored for a new bushing. I had that issue on my Cat hoe but it was steel plate with a welded bushing and press fit hard bushing.

  2. #2Buckeye Wes2025-01-17 06:57
  3. #3stinky642025-01-17 10:37

    My machine has 2 pins, yours may have been replaced before. When I was shopping for those pins remember broken tractor only had the 1 piece replacement.

  4. #4Buckeye Wes2025-01-17 10:57

    I think I’m going to weld large bushing in pic to the tower on both sides then make 2 more bushings and weld those to inner boom supports. Then drill the inner and install a bolt to keep pin from rotating in welded bushings. The boom will rotate on pin like the original design. I don’t understand broken tractors design with snap rings on pin. Nothing to stop pin from rotating in cast.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-01-18 08:46

    Not sure that Broken Tractors design. Most everything Case has those pin retainers.