I was using my Case 580C yesterday and the brake was working fine. Then I pushed the right brake and it went to the floor- did nothing. I did not even look for anything because it was late. What do I need to look for? Thanks, Greg
Greg, According to Coleman's website it looks like the 580C uses a master - slave cylinder system like the 'D' models. I would check the linkage from the slave cylinder to the brake housing on the right side, then check fluid level in the right master cylinder. If it went to the floor all of a sudden, that means either the linkage pin came out or the fluid system developed a major leak. I used to run a 580D for a while that has leaking brakes, but it take several days to leak down IIR correctly. HTH Dave
Greg, Just wondering what you found?? Dave
Dave, I have not even looked at it. Right after I posted this my computer went down. I have just now caught back up enough to check this out. Everything I have touched this week has screwed up. I just piddle around with my equipment on the farm and use it for stress relief. I have no schedule for it and am under no pressure to do anything with it. Like a kid in a sandbox. I do like the smell of dirt. Thanks for the concern and I will get back to you when I find out something. Greg
Dave, The Master cyl was empty. I cannot figure out where the brake fluid went. Everything looks dry. Looking at the shop manual- it looks like brake fluid would have to leak externally. I filled up the master cylinder and now have good petal on 2 pumps. How the heck do I reach the bleeder at the actuator? Thanks, Greg
Greg, To be really honest, I don't know. :beatsme I know the parts diagram shows bleeders on the slaves, are they not where one could reach them?? I have not worked on a 'C'... HTH Dave
I crawled under it and tried to reach where i thought it was. It seems like the arm is very much in the way. I did not have a flashlight so I could not see good(I still got my eyes full of dust). I plan to look at it again tonight. Thanks, Greg
They point towards the back of the machine. I use a deep depth 1/4" drive - 1/4"** socket & handle. Reach in from over the rear of the axle. Yes, you usually get dirt in your eyes, ears & armpits during this process & it helps if you have long arms, like an ape ......
And curse like a sailor.
I figured out the "over the axle" last night. Not much trouble but I got plenty dirty. I did not see anything indicating a major leak. The dirt and grime was sorta moist on the back of the slave/actuating cyl. Will it hurt to just keep the master cylinder full and wait until it gets worse? Mr. alrman, Just curious- What is an "**" socket? I appreciate all the help. Greg
Greg, I believe an ** socket basically means an imperial socket, SAE not metric, 1/4" 'across flats'. That's what I took from it anyway... No harm in keeping the master cylinder full and running it, just beware that if it drops all at once it means no brakes on that side! A little safety issue. You would be very mindful of brakes if you drove my 580B for any time! If it keeps loosing fluid, you should be able to see where it is leaking before long if you clean the area and repair. HTH Dave
Dave, Since I am asking questions- What does the "HTH" stand for on your salutation? Greg
"Hope this helps" Dave
It did, Thanks, Greg
same problem for me. do the older 580c's take brake fluid or hyd fluid
580C takes brake fluid NOT hyd, the previous owner of mine used hyd fluid and it swelled all the seals and what a mess. Mine is a 1977 580C
thanks. that is what the previous owner thought he was using
Did you ever figure out what caused the fluid loss? Just picked up a 580c last week and both master cylinders are dry.
cracked line. replaced it and both complete brake assemblys.got the best brakes it has ever had.