Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Brake bleeder location?

KevinK2 ยท 2012-02-16 08:29

Gonna show my colors here - As some of you may have seen in my posts I'm new to owning a piece of heavy machinery. I replaced the two master cylinders yesterday (see pic...wonder why they didn't work...?) Went to bleed them, chased the lines underneath and cannot locate the bleeder. Can anyone help?

Replies21
  1. #1TheOldMan2012-02-16 09:07

    The bleedeers ore on the slave cylinders at the brake actuators. If your masters were in that bad shape, better check those slaves. Much easier to do with the seat and floor pan removed.

  2. #2KevinK22012-02-16 09:17

    Thanks - Removing the seat and floor makes sense. I need to fix that seat anyway (the latch keeps letting loose and I go sailing to the floor) I was underneath with inspection mirrors trying to get a picture of the assy, one 1" at a time - in reverse (reflection). Was not working out too well. I'll remove the floor this weekend, I think it's supposed to be sunny and warm-ish. Yeah, I was looking especially hard at the one that dried out. That doesn't happen typically unless there's a leak below. Even poor maintenance results in that blackend oil. Could be the line, could be the slave. Financially speaking - this is starting to feel like my boat - LOL!!!! Thanks again~!

  3. #3trevor b2012-02-16 10:17

    :tongkevink2 like iv'e always said if you play with the big boys you gotta pay with the big boy's tb

  4. #4KevinK22012-02-16 10:28

    Oh yeah - knew what kind of fight I was in for when I stepped into the arena. My pal's are sand/gravel guys and triaxle owners - We maintain those beasts on the weekends and have a few cold ones after the work is done. It's non-stop, every weekend is another part, some minor, like changing tires, or u-joints, some...well...not so much...we all shed some knuckle skin to keep them safe. I might be crazy, but so long as there's a solution to the problems, it's almost fun - even better if we have the right tools!! :Banghead

  5. #5nova4812012-02-16 12:25

    Here's a picture only took me an hour to get it on here

  6. #6dwloop2012-02-16 12:51

    Kevin, Some information in a post here, alrman came to the rescue again.... HTH, Dave

  7. #7KevinK22012-02-16 13:47

    That turns on a buncha lights!...If they're not too expensive, maybe I'll replace the slave cylinders for good measure. Thanks dwloop - If I pull up the floor plate, I might be able to avoid the sandy eyes....but this is good B/U info if I have to crawl under & over to do this. ~Thanks both!

  8. #8dwloop2012-02-16 13:51

    Kevin, several online dealers have them from aftermarket that may save some dimes. Also please check a service manual for the correct fluid, I am not sure what fluid they use, either hy-tran or brake fluid. Use the wrong stuff and you will be replacing them again soon. HTH, Dave

  9. #9KevinK22012-02-16 13:59

    Thanks - Will do.... What's the gig with fluids? Compatability with the rubber boot material? Had a guy put Dexron III in the brake fluid reservoir on a HMMWV down at Ft.Polk, LA. Funniest look in his face when the rubber swelled to 3x the size the next day....Had to purge the whole system. LOL!! Motor Daddy was pee-O'ed.

  10. #10dwloop2012-02-16 14:27

    Yes... It is easy on my 'B, they are mechanical... There have been some discussion along the way here on which fluid the 'Cs they use... I don't know, but the service or owners manual will tell you. I would hate to see you replace with new only to ruin them with the wrong stuff. Dave

  11. #11alrman2012-02-16 16:29

    580C - brake fluid 580D & later - hydraulic oil Link above also mentions this on P2

  12. #12KevinK22012-02-16 16:33

    Cool... got lotsa DOT3 around the shop already!

  13. #13nova4812012-02-16 17:29

    I bought my slave cylinders on ebay, they looked exactly like the originals even though their made in china http://www.ebay.com/itm/A51976-Case...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4aafd4f9a1

  14. #14dwloop2012-02-16 17:34

    I always find it very amusing that they list those for the 580B as well.... Dave

  15. #15nova4812012-02-16 17:43

    Why is that, don't they fit a 580B Ron

  16. #16dwloop2012-02-16 18:10

    The 580B has no hydraulic brake cylinders, they are all mechanical. Dave

  17. #17KevinK22012-02-16 20:06

    Reliable Aftermarket Inc has them for $46 - I got the master cylinders from them, they're out of MI and had them to me in 3 days - free shipping. Probably the same dist source.

  18. #18dwloop2012-02-16 21:06

    I've had good luck with them..

  19. #19KevinK22012-02-17 15:39

    I shoulda ordered them when I saw them yesterday....today they're $52.75 ea. Oh well, still, $105.50 is cheap insurance. I'll do the slaves too just to be sure. How much work can it be, really?.......Aaaaaaaa-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA~! I should know better than to ask a Q like that!!!

  20. #20TheOldMan2012-02-17 18:11

    Believe me, my friend - it never ends.

  21. #21KevinK22012-02-18 17:47

    I ordered the Slave Cylindeers, They should be here Tuesday or Wednesday - but just for S&G's I filled the M/C reservoirs to see if they'd gravity bleed a little....They did!....well a "very" little. But enough to knock the high spots into the low spots in my driveway....wouldn't call it grading exactly, that'll be easier when I can have a couple of 20 yd loads of process dropped off later in the spring. Now THAT will be fun to play in!