I have a 580c with no brakes at all. where is the master cylinder on this machine? Probably gonna need more than just fluid but ya gotta start somewhere.. thanks for all the help.
there's 2 behind the dashboard. You can fill them by removing the cover on top. To remove them it's easier to drill 2 holes (with a holesaw) in the side of dash in line with the mounting bolts - better than pulling out the entire dash assembly
i just done a brake job on mine......you just want to make sure you change the O-rings and seals to keep grease out of the new brake linings......if you have to get that far to get brakes i'll help you all i can...
Unlike the earlier B model, the C relies on a master cylinder and slave cylinder on each side to actuate. Have someone look underneath to see if the slave cylinder is moving when you push the pedal. I can't quite remember the layout but I do know that these cylinders are known for problems. Some have gotten lucky after honing and installing a new kit. I just get new ones from Case, along with a flex line, however you might be able to get them a bit cheaper out of the Wagner book at an auto parts store. Phil
Hey Phil, didn't some of these units use hyd fluid in brakes and not DOT3 brake fluid?
I've never seen that option on a C model. However the D model did, as I recall, and warning label was supposed to alert the operator. Phil
Oh, I wasn't necessarily saying it was the C model, I don't remember the model, just remember working on some older model hoes that use hyd oil in brake system, that's all. Bad wording on my part, sorry 'bout that.
I think that this is becoming forgotten maintenance issue. Good to raise awareness on that point. I had a friend who put brake fluid in by mistake, I don't know what happened after that, it was in Jamaica, mon . Phil
mine takes dot 3 per the manual....