Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Brakes

PAwrestling#1 ยท 2013-05-11 15:28

Can anyone tell me how the heck you get the big flathead screw out of the backing plate to get to the inner seal??? This is driving me nuts???

Replies15
  1. #1TLR152013-05-11 16:19

    I just went through the brakes on our machine. I didn't have a problem getting the flathead screw out but once it was out the plate wouldn't come off. No problem, I was able to get the seal out and the new one in without taking the plate off.

  2. #2sheepfoot2013-05-11 16:26

    impact screw driver, flat punch, tap lightly it's like a stove bolt taper in the backing plate.

  3. #3PAwrestling#12013-05-11 17:06

    my plate is loose if i could just get the screw out. When you say flat punch do you mean tap it around with a hammer til it breaks loose? I was gonna do that but was afraid id bung up the end of it and be in more trouble. TLR was your slave cyl. and all the mechanisms all rusty? mine are. I know slave cyl are shot but I wonder if just some WD-40 or something on all the springs and everything on top will be o.k.

  4. #4PAwrestling#12013-05-11 18:06

    Got the screw out thanks. WHat about the rusty linkages, springs, and of course the slave. Im replacing slave.

  5. #5PAwrestling#12013-05-13 13:41

    Now i have another question, I got new brakes, new oil seals, new shims for behind plate. As I was tearing off the brake housing and plate I noticed the use of permatex or clear silicone at different spots which im at work now so I cant tell you where if it was both sides of plate and/or brake housing etc.... My question is, is there a need for permatex or silicone and if so where?

  6. #6alrman2013-05-13 16:43

    There is no real need for sealant for the carrier plates, as there is an oring to control oil from the main housing. A little permatex on the OD of the seal for the side gear / bull pinion is a little more insurance. I hope you are measuring the shims & replacing exactly what is removed? This will alter critical measurements for the crownwheel setup ........

  7. #7PAwrestling#12013-05-13 20:30

    no i havent measured anything. I screwed up metal shim or gasket on inside of plate and looked the p/n up in the book and ordered it. It didnt say there were different thicknesses so i just ordered.

  8. #8PAwrestling#12013-05-14 07:08

    Thanks Alrman.. After getting on Coleman website I see they offer .005,.007, and .010" I would have never checked that. Hopefully I get lucky and ordered what I have. Will measure them tonight. Thanks again.

  9. #9TLR152013-05-14 14:21

    PA, once you got the screw out did the plate come right off? When I did the brakes on our machine I was able to get the screw out no problem and the plate rotated but i was unable to slide it off. Fortunately I was able to get the seal out without removing it.

  10. #10PAwrestling#12013-05-14 15:06

    No i had to pry slightly. It was fairly loose tho

  11. #11PAwrestling#12013-05-15 07:47

    Are these shims usually different thicknesses from side to side or they always the same? I havent torn the left side brakes off yet but .010" shim on right side.

  12. #12Operator41002013-05-16 05:04

    Hey there, yes the shims are different from side to side, they set up your backlash for your ring gear to pinnion clearance,question why are you changing them??

  13. #13PAwrestling#12013-05-16 08:12

    Well i havent had brakes on this machine for quite some time and noticed I have oil leaking into brakes. So i wanted to replace the seals and O'rings and i couldnt get the seals out without removing the plate and when I did that I screwed up the shim. Hopefully the other side will me more cooperative.

  14. #14Operator41002013-05-16 18:44

    Good evening, how bad did you screw them up? usually the edges get torn some and wrinkled, as you can see those shims are huge you can take them apart and hammer them back flat would be fine. be careful and dont get right side and left side intermixed.

  15. #15kevin37b2013-05-20 13:31

    You will never keep brakes on that machine .The E series with wet brakes was the first to actually have brakes .