My John Deere 310sj lost 2nd and 4th gear yesterday! This is the fist time I ever had any kind of transmission problems with Deere backhoes. I called the dealer and they said it had something to do with the clutch in the transmission and that the trans had to come out for them to fix it. Anyone ever have this problem before? Machine is a 2010 with only 2000hrs on it.
Sweet baby Jeebus....they diagnosed it over the phone, did they? Maybe they should have a look at it first and try swapping out the solenoid that operates the clutch pack for 2nd and 4th gear.
I'll second that. Do you have the technical manual for it? The older Deere clutchpack transmissions had good diagnostics and explanations of the functioning of all of the components. The electronic ones may eliminate some of that with electronic controls but I'd think there are still pressure tests and electrical tests to diagnose it before pulling the whole thing.
I do not have a technical manual for it. Is the solenoid something I could test on my own? Are they easy to get to? If I can avoid bring it to the dealer that would be great, it's a 1 and a half drive each way.
The technical manual is worth it to me, I paid about $100 on fleabay for my older one. If you post some pics of the sides of the transmission, I could take a guess at where they are. There are lots of tests you could do on your own, but the manual would make everything so much easier. Unless the manuals aren't as good for the newer models?
Found these behind a cover on the back of the transmission. Are these the selnoids I'm looking for? And how would I test them?
Looks right to me. Not knowing exactly which one is the 2+4 and which other ones are engaged in 2 or in 4, I'd start by putting the key in run (engine off and wire disconnected from injection pump) and shifting between the gears to see if the solenoids operate without the engine running. If you hear them clicking when you (or helper) shift, then see if you can find which ones operate in both 2 and 4. They might stay on from the last gear, so you might have to check for voltage in the connector. Or assuming you have a cool day there today, leave the key on and in 2 for 10 minutes and come back and see which ones feel warm, then repeat in 4. Or you can put it in 1st, check which solenoids are energized, when you connect/disconnect the wires they should click if they're energized, and they'll show power with a tester. put it in different gears to test the ones that weren't used in 1st. You may find one that doesn't click with power. You can take that one out and swap it for another one like cutting edge said, or test the resistance. If the coil is burned out, there will be no continuity between the terminals on the coil. If the resistance is the same as the other coils, then it could still be sticking, or not operating the valve, or you could have an internal problem.
did you figure out your tranny problem I have the same one Thanks Randy
Did you solve your transmission problem I have the same one Thanks Randy
I ended up taking it to the dealer. It was an internal problem. I can't 100% remember what it was. Something like a c clip for a clutch came off and damaged some expensive parts. Sorry I can't be anymore help than that.
Same thing happened to me yesterday same machine same year 1240 hrs.I am pretty sure it is internal from my trouble shooting. The 2-4 solenoid plug in terminals are not bright and shiny like the other two .The continuity is good.How did you make out Thanks Randy
Thanks for the reply randy
I have the service manual for that machine
Did John deere go good for any of your repairs for that 2nd and 4th clutch pack. I took mine to the dealer yesterday .My field mechanic insisted to the service manager to see if there was any post warranty coverage and low and low and behold John Deere has something called a PIP.Product improvement program that has a fix as fails policy that has been extended until the end of 2014 for that clutch I noticed that you have more than one of these machines so you may want to look into it .I told my field mechanic that I found you with the same problem on this forum and he passed it on to the service manager. Thanks Randy