The right side diff lock shaft seal leaks. Everything I've read says to disconnect the lock and never use it. Seems like it'd be better if it just wasn't there at all. If the lock shaft was removed, would a welch plug fit the side gear shaft like the left side has?
Anyone have thoughts? Also, all the self adjuster parts are missing, as is the entire parking brake, the e brake lever, cable and cross shaft. Anyone have, or know of a source?
Anyone?
With regards cutting off the crossshaft to eliminate the difflock, you will need to remove the side gear carrier plate, top & rear inspection plates, bull gear, then side gear - personaly, I wouldn't. And whether the side gear ID is a std size to allow for welsh plug simply to be purchased & fitted. Obviously, you have oil on the brake linings? Is there movement in the side gear due to loose bearing preload? - causing the seal to leak? I can't help you with aquiring used parts apart from saying "Google is your friend" - & spend some time calling as many yards as possible & ask them to recommend someone else, if they can't help you.
I didn't notice any play, but then, I was more concerned trying to get the housings off and getting out of the heat. I read a lot, too much sometimes. But there's a lot of comments about leaving that diff lock alone or disconnecting the linkage. Plus its more prone to leaks. Looking at parts pages it appears it might need the diff lock shaft for support, like you cannot just remove it? Anyway, if I'm disconnecting it, it would be nice to be able to just plug it up. I've contacted a few yards, nothing yet. Tomorrow ill dig into that deeper.