Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C broken brake gear thingy

silverstr8p ยท 2023-06-05 14:23

I took apart the right brake assembly, which suddenly quit braking (brake would depress, get hard but provide no braking), and found these two broken parts: The dealer said they were related to the diff lock, and he couldn't get them anymore. 1. Do I really need them? Dealer said if I pulled them out I just wouldn't have a diff lock, but brakes would work. 2. Does anyone have these sitting around their shop somewhere that I could buy?

Replies9
  1. #1heymccall2023-06-05 14:31

    8 & 10???

  2. #2Delmer2023-06-05 15:17

    Nothin you can't fix with a welder and a grinder. You don't want those parts too strong, worse stuff gets broke if that won't break and somebody forces it.

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-06-05 15:40

    A broken differential lock has nothing to do with causing the RH brake to quit working. You need to look into the brake assembly to determine why it isn't working. I wouldn't bother to take the time and money to fix the differential look, unless you really need it. Much too often it can cause damage to the drive train if it is engaged and the tractor is turned on a hard surface.

  4. #4franklin22023-06-05 16:04

    On my 480c I have found when I did get it locked in, it won't unlock. Then you can't steer it. I have found if you have one wheel spinning, just push the brake down on the spinning wheel and it will direct some power to the wheel that is not spinning. I think I remember some other comments on here about the diff lock on the case is best left alone.

  5. #5Delmer2023-06-06 00:19

    If it won't unlock, I'd guess one of the springs is broken. You may have to turn direction to relieve pressure on the dif lock before it will disengage. Keeping turning the same way will hold it on forever because it will never release the pressure on it. Most damage comes from applying the dif lock AFTER one wheel starts to spin, the sudden stopping puts a huge strain on the differential. If you apply it, then turn on hard surface, a tire will still slip, either the front will go straight when you try to turn, or one of the rears will slip as you turn slowly.

  6. #6Abseim2023-06-06 12:38

    The diff lock on my 480ck is absolutely invaluable out in the woods where I'm clearing. I find myself using it all the time when I'm pushing into a pile or getting through a muddy patch. I'm also pretty much always in low 1st gear... I can't imagine not having it available for off road use.

  7. #7silverstr8p2023-06-06 13:57

    I'll see if I can figure out how to weld it better than the skills I possess, meaning I get my friend to do it

  8. #8Abseim2023-06-06 14:12

    I think anyone trying to keep an old machine alive on a budget could learn a lot from this YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/@pakistanitruck Haha, I specialize in high end carpentry and construction, and take pride in doing things top notch, but so many times on a project when a tool breaks or got left at the shop, knowing some of these third world techniques and knowing how to improvise can really save the day...

  9. #9Spitfireman2024-08-10 20:11

    I've watched those people doing some pretty sketchy stuff saying WHAT? And then, well ill be a sob, it worked? Welding broken crankshafts on big diesels. Welding a broken engine block. And they do it barefoot and no face eye or ear protection wearing flipping robes. Amazing people, Its what happens when nobody tells you what you can't do. They drive insane too.