My second hand 580c has a broken cross shaft where the differential lock collar slides over it to lock the two shafts together. My question is how much has to come apart to replace this? I have taken the diff lock cover off and also the brake assembly off that side. At this point should the shaft slide out or do I have to keep digging? Thank you in advance, Brandon I will try to post a diagram to be more clear.
To remove the side gear - the bull gear needs to be removed from the axle. The entire cross shaft, including the crownwheel, needs to be removed through the top cover. That involves removing the floor. If I were doing the job, the floor would remain in place & the transaxle would be out & on a bench.
The shaft I'm referring to is number 15 in the diagram
Yep, that is fitted through the top cover. It can be done without removing the transaxle, but like I said, a lot easier, with the transaxle removed from the machine.
ok, the project is much bigger than I anticipated. Thank you for the response. I'll take your advice and remove the transaxle.