TheOldMan - Here are the photos of the teeth on my bucket. Not really sure how they are held. Looks like some sort of pin that has been smashed on the ends. I've dug up a dozen or so stumps with them and even broke up some sandstone rock and so far they are not showing signs of getting loose. So whatever it is that is holding them in is working. They measure 5" on the flat side by 2 1/4" if you are looking to replace your missing one.
Those are flex pins, They are two pieces of steel with a rubber strip sandwiched in between, To remove just use a punch and hammer
Thanks GWS I wish mine had the mount that would take the pins. Canadian_digger, mine has crimp on pins. I'm told they need to be welded on because I'll lost them on stumps if they're not. Must be so, I'm missing 2. Any idea what I need to buy to get them and weld them on?
I think this is basically what you are looking for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2300-SHANK-...pt=Wholesale_Lots&hash=item27bc3f0699&vxp=mtr I think whatever you put on should be compatible with "Series 23" teeth (the above link is). They are very common and therefore cheaper, ones I've found run about $7 each and the steel pins that have the rubber inbetween (like above) are a $1 or $2 ea.
Mine doesn't have the hole drilled for the expansion pin, so I'll have to weld on whatever I get. Do you happen to have one laying around so you could give me in inside measurement of the tooth so I could see if it would go on mine? Thanx
Mine doesn't have the hole drilled for the expansion pin, so I'll have to weld on whatever I get. Thes shanks you refer to would probably be the answer if I can get the others ground off. As soon as I get this hydraulic thing worked out, thats next.
Do you need the inside measurement of the shank to see if they will fit on your cutting edge? Or do you want to see if a 23 tooth will fit on your shank so you can weld it on?
Thanks Canadian_digger. Never looked that close at them. I tried to clean them off a little for TheOldMan to see what I have on mine. At least they won't be so hard to replace.
deleted, better picture below!
GWS, Make sure you have new pins when you go to replace your teeth, The pins normaly get bent or fall apart and are not reuseable.
Canadian_digger: Thanks for that info, I'm going to get a couple of teeth and pins in case I pop one of them off. I have a lot of sandstone around my place so it probably won't be long before I lose one.
Thank you digger - couldn't ask for better info than that!!!
This comes in very handy to remove and install those flex pins.... Coleman also has a kit price on five forged series 23 teeth with new pins. Thats what I put on mine for the concrete and stumps I was working on and seemed to work well. Dave
I hope that thing came with instructions. Not sure by looking at it exactly how it works.
Pretty simple, one side is just a pin to drive the old one out. The other side has a cup that helps compress the split pin. Important part is that it is made offset so that you can use a 2lb hammer to easily get between the teeth to drive the pins out and in without loosing a bunch of skin... And no, I do not sell or promote them... Dave
I have rebuilt a slew of those teeth. We cut the flat bar lookin piece off and install new hard plate flatbar. Alot of times we never remove them from the bucket. Of all the ones we have redone only one has broke. If you want them sharpened you have to preheat the hard plate to around 600 degrees and grind it while its hot. its a cheap fix and works great.