Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c case

martin54 ยท 2023-07-14 21:57

I'm working on a Case 580C rear hydraulic control levers for the backhoe. I removed the bottom cap on the far right lever and the pin out of the lever at the top. The long pin in the valve fell out after aa couple of light taps and i replaced the O rings and top seal. Now when I try to put it back in from the bottom it appears that it won't clear the swing cylinder enough for it to line up and go in. I mean, it fell out but won't go back in. Anyone have any ideas??

Replies6
  1. #1franklin22023-07-15 09:12

    You can easily take the end of the swing cylinder off the boom, and then move the swing cylinder left or right if that would help. I am getting ready to do just that, I need to replace the seals in the swing cylinder.

  2. #2martin542023-07-15 22:09

    Thanks for the reply. I took the pin out of the cylinder this morning, pushed it in to give me more room for move it to the side and was able to get the spool back in. the problem that I have created for myself is when I was prying on the spool at first. I must have slightly bent it some where because it was difficult to push it in all the way and once it was in it would not move up and down. I've been looking for somewhere to get a cost on a new spool but so far have had no luck at all. Going to try to figure out how to straighten it somehow.

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-07-17 10:08

    Spools are a precision for fit for each section they are put in at the factory. It is quite unlikely you will be able to straighten it so that it will work without binding or leaking. The spools are only sold with a valve section. You may be able to find a used valve section from a salvage yard.

  4. #4franklin22023-07-17 19:56

    Do you have a press? That and a flat table. You have nothing to lose and lots of time I assume to try it. We can do things at home that a official mechanics shop would not try because of warranty problems. I usually find the high side and mark it with a magic marker. Bend it a little bit and then see if you went too far or not enough by the relationship of the mark you made.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2023-07-18 08:45

    I have done them on a lathe and have had good luck.

  6. #6martin542023-07-23 18:23

    I don't have a press but I think I'll invest in a small one