Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c operation for dummies

Kefrko · 2023-07-15 16:01

So I’ve had a “new to me” 580C for about 6 months now and it’s my first introduction to a piece of equipment like that. I had a couple of maintenance issues I was working on including getting the brakes working. Now that they are working I am looking for some pointers on running it. I looked online and couldn’t find much about general operation. I think I get the basics of backhoe operation. I assume you use the handle throttle to keep the engine at a higher rpm, put the front end up on the bucket and the back up on the stabilizers and use the backhoe as needed? If there are any other tips I would appreciate them. As far as driving it and using the front loader I could use more pointers. I would think you keep the hand throttle in the up position so the engine is just idling and use the foot throttle to increase the engine speed. When using the bucket I’m guessing you want the engine Revving higher which you would still just rely on the foot throttle? I did learn about the neutral switch that sits below the brake pedal and I was thinking you could use a combination of that and the foot throttle to keep the engine running higher to work the bucket without moving the loader forward or backwards if that was your goal? My wife and I bought a 5 acre wooded property that we plan on building on at some point so the backhoe seemed like a good addition. It’s relatively level and plenty of room for me to work out the kinks relatively safely. I was driving it around a little today but don’t want to screw anything up on the machine if I’m doing it wrong. any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1nova4812023-07-15 16:21

    Hi If you don't already have it, the owners manual has some good information. Case 580C Manuals | ManualsLib www.manualslib.com

  2. #2franklin22023-07-15 19:47

    I was pretty green also when I got my backhoe, a little bit smaller version of yours, a 480c. I am still very far from a expert, but I have been using it off and on for about 5 years now. I have used some other equipment also. Keeping the throttle up while using it is the right thing to do. If you happen to forget and start using it, the hydraulic pump will make a loud moaning noise. That is a sign you need to raise the rpms a little bit. You are also correct about using and loading with the front bucket. It's best to keep the rpms low I have found when doing maneuvers, it doesn't pull against the brakes as bad. You probably read my old thread where I got my neutral switch working, but didn't like it because I am on a hill. What I do is get to my destination and then put the forward lever in neutral, and while holding the brake with the left foot I rev it with the right foot on the throttle to make raising the bucket a little faster. Just like any other equipment, it was very frustrating learning how to operate the backhoe portion in the beginning. A experienced operator makes it look very easy, but it's not when you are new. It will take a couple of weeks, but you will start getting the hang of digging with it. I have found also doing this sort of work, it's more than just hopping on and digging a hole. You have obstacles and wires/pipes to look out for. As you dig the dirt and pile it up, it may become an obstacle to the rest of the job. You need to plan on where to put it, and if you need to carry it away. I was digging a long french drain. I dug the ditch ok, but then I needed to bring in the gravel for the ditch. I could not get to the side of the ditch, so I had to straddle the ditch and back all the way around and back out. Then I had to load the bucket with gravel and straddle the ditch without falling in all the way around to dump the gravel in place. I also had to make a funnel out of plywood to direct the gravel in the ditch. it all worked out, but there was some hairy moments and some thinking involved to make each step work.