Can this be done without the special clutch alignment tool? I'm attempting this also myself and have never worked on any type of clutch. I just seen on the net where there was a special tool required and wasnt sure if this was a sale pitch or def. is needed? ANyone with experience with these, is there anything tricky about this job?
I'd say it's somewhere in between. I've done many car, truck and tractor clutches and never had the alignment tool. Just eyeball it when you tighten up the pressure plate and get it as close to centered as you can. That being said, it's usually a pain to get the input shaft into the clutch, so maybe I'm crazy for not getting the right tools? This is assuming the special tool is the plastic dummy shaft alignment tool.
That’s someone that has done many clutch but starting out get the tool it will make it easy no eyeballing it and it only cost what 25 dollars if that. Your clutch kit didn’t come with one in the clutch kit. I have done many clutches and I did try it once and it works to line everything up. I think it will help you on your first clutch job good luck
If it isn't too big of a job, take the input shaft out of the trans-axle and use it. Also get a couple of 4 inch long bolts the same diameter as the trans-axle to bellhousing bolts. Cut the heads off of them and use them for guide bolts when sliding the trans-axle into place.
Well I got the clutch out and talk about shot??? My question is with the flywheel. Is there a Max. that can be taken off while resurfacing these. Im guessing this is grooved 1/16" to 1/8" as the disc is bare.
Yes there is a max, and most good machine shops will check before starting, they have to take the face as well as the edge where the pressure plate bolts to keep it right. May get lucky and find it's never been turned before!. Also seen several cut to the max with a few still in it ( machined flat with some streaks ) and put back together with many hours use, 3,000 plus hours and no problems. I have seen those with over 5,000 hrs and factory clutch, it just depends what the machine was used for and who was running it. I had the spec written down, will look and see if I can find it.
Thanks sheepfoot. I'm glad I asked cuz i was told if it was a single plane surface it doesnt matter unless it's a huge amount..