Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C cylinder repack question

nova481 · 2021-03-26 16:23

Hi guys I just repacked the front loader lift cylinder. When I took it off it was fully retracted, how do I get the ram all the way back in? Thanks Ron

Replies5
  1. #1Swetz2021-03-26 17:53

    push it in...may need to wiggle a bit but once it goes it should get easier.

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-03-26 19:34

    I see you have the gland screwed in. Connect the hydraulic lines and use the hydraulic pressure.

  3. #3cosmaar12021-03-26 23:37

    Also go slow when moving it. Full bore when it’s dry probably ain’t the best of ideas.

  4. #4outlawspeeder2021-03-30 18:08

    Open the lines and let the trapped air out. You have an air lock on the other side. I also use a cargo strap and take my time.

  5. #5nova4812021-04-06 12:50

    Success, I’m too old and too weak to muscle the ram back into the tube. I did what Tinkerer suggested, hooked up the hydraulic lines and a few up and down on the controller and it lined up. Thanks fellow union brother Tinkerer. In the middle of all this the original starter went and I had to replace it. I got one from Amazon (rare electrical) sorry. The backhoe never started so fast. It’s probably needed one for the last 20 years. Thanks guys. Next question coming up. Ron