Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c floor button

Rusty Pipe ยท 2013-02-02 14:56

Hey, all. Newby with limited case knowledge here Inherited a 1979 580C. It came with no brakes and two dry master cylinders. I filled the master cylinders and would like to bleed them. I have been unable to remove the floor plate to access the slave cylinders/bleeders because the differential button (next to the accelerator pedal) will not allow me to pick it up. The bolts around the perimeter had to be cut (rust), the emergency brake handle will stand upright and the gear selector has a hole in the floor to slide over it. What do I do to the differential lock? Also, anybody have a picture of the dash? I have knobs, switches and loose wires with no markings to identify what is what. Thanks in advance for input and thank all for this incredible site.

Replies12
  1. #1Corunnadon2013-02-03 00:59

    580 c Differential button On my 580c the lever can be disconnected underneath and removed. However I bleed mine with a pressure bleeder and accessed the bleeder with a ratchet wrench and plastic hose, not easy but do-able.

  2. #2Rusty Pipe2013-02-03 09:06

    Thanks but how do I remove this rod? Cotter pin, nut, bolt? I cannot see over the tire. I tried mirrors but found out that I am no dentist.... Thanks again.

  3. #3Corunnadon2013-02-03 12:02

    Remove the cotter pin on the under side.

  4. #4nova4812013-02-03 12:31

    Does this help

  5. #5Corunnadon2013-02-03 13:45

    Thanks, as usual a picture is worth a thousand words. That's why I like a good manual and the forum.

  6. #6Rusty Pipe2013-02-04 08:43

    Thanks, Nova. The picture is great. I guess a repair manual is in the near future.

  7. #7Dickjr.2013-02-04 13:32

    Rusty , you may have to rebuild those master cylinders due to the fact that it sounds like someone put brake fluid in them as well as the slaves. It calls for TCH fluid. These backhoes had good brakes , but they always needed a little something , the one we had would self adjust until too tight. Or some bozzo ( me ) put brake fluid in the masters to top them off. If the fluid leaks out you know what has to be done. You can rent a power bleeder after you rebuild them if they need it and work it from the bottom. Sometimes we would loose the brakes in the middle of a job and have to Fred Flinestone it. If I recall theres not much to redoing these. remove retainer clips push apart clean , reassemble with new orings and put back on the tractor.

  8. #8nova4812013-02-04 15:46

    According to the manual those brakes are suppose to use DOT 3 brake fluid

  9. #9Dickjr.2013-02-04 16:59

    Nova , your exactly right. I'm either thinking of the D model we had or the 850D crawler. If a mod reads this please remove my prior post to avoid damage or confusion.

  10. #10Rusty Pipe2013-02-04 17:11

    Thanks all. My info also states Dot 3. I have already filled them and started bleeding. I hope my manual is accurate. Dickjr. Gave good directions, however. Nova 481--a sincere thanks for your help.

  11. #11nova4812013-02-04 22:36

    Your Welcome, Glad I could help

  12. #12Operator41002013-02-06 19:12

    Hey to all, Yaw the C models had DOT3 fluid when the D's came out they use TCH (hydraulic ) fluid,its a job to pull the florr pan out i wouldnt advise it , take care DW