Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why did piston hit gland inside bucket cylinder 580SL

69zfarmer ยท 2013-02-02 19:11

My bucket cylinder was leaking on my 580SL series1.I tore into it today and the piston was flared a little due to hitting the gland.What should have kept this from happening?Why did the rod extend out too much and contact piston?I may have to get a new piston but i need to know what happened to keep the new piston from doing it again.Please help.

Replies4
  1. #1grandpa2013-02-02 20:48

    You overextended it,,, by the stops being worn or hitting something stubborn in the fully extented postition.

  2. #2mitch5042013-02-03 00:42

    It can also have so much slop in the pins that it will overextend. The external linkage has stops to keep it from going to far.

  3. #3melben2013-02-04 07:15

    I don't know what is causing your flaring but do know that Case cylinders traditionally use the gland and the butt end as a stop for the piston,and also control the stroke. Look at any system on the machine such as the stabilizer cylinders, loader raise and lower, boom in and out etc and you will see no external stops. Someone must have been really bangin on something to deform the piston. I have worked on Case from the oldest in 1957 when I started with my Case dealer and am presently doing the same, can you post pics, I would like to see the damage. I have seen damage to skid steer rams on the dump cylinders from wrapping down over the quick coupler crossbar when lower bucket stops fail but not hoes. Mel

  4. #4mitch5042013-02-04 16:05

    I was thinking of the loader bucket cylinders. Those do have external stops on the SK and most earlier models.