What would make a 580C only travel in reverse? Moves backwards, digs holes, no forward? Don't know much about Case machines. Any ideas? Possible easy fix or should my friend walk away from this machine? Seller is asking 5000 and I think that's a bit high for a machine that may have to come apart before anything else...
I've never worked on the 580C shuttle which is common in later models too. I think there are aftermarket rebuild kits for it. These are easy to get out, and several on this forum have worked on them, so I'll bump this back to the top. I good used one here sells for $1500 C, I know someone who has one, so that is probably the worst case scenario. Nice to keep your old one if you go that route, and they often can be repaired for less, I believe. Across the border from you backhoes are hard to find here, even with the recession, but few are buying. A nice C used to go for $13,500, I think $10K is more the market value now. Across the border I'm not so sure. One of these days, the things will slowly start to improve and everyone who has bought a cheap hoe during these times will be glad they did. I don't see how you could go wrong for the price if the rest of the machine checks out. Phil