Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C fuel injector pump stuck at half throttle

silverstr8p · 2022-10-15 19:49

This hoe had been sitting a super long time. I cleaned the rust out of the tanks and bled the lines and it ran great, but was stuck about half throttle. The accelerator pedal doesn't seem to change it. It kept doing this so I pulled the fuel shutoff to kill the motor, but now I can't get it running at all, except on starter fluid. I tried to bleed the injectors by loosening the two nuts on the high pressure side of the pump near the injector and cranking until a tiny bit of diesel bleeds out, am I doing that right?

Replies11
  1. #1thepumpguysc2022-10-16 06:33

    Your metering valve is stuck..1st in the half way position and then when you pulled the stop it’s in the no-fuel position.. Your going to have to take off the top cover of the inj pump..and using your fingers, loosen up the metering valve.. Google it so you’ll know what your looking at.. Good luck

  2. #2silverstr8p2022-10-17 15:56

    I took a look at a couple videos but the pump was a little different. It looks like I just take off the top fitting (which I think I can do with it still in the hoe) and the couple screws and lift the top off, or will stuff pop out and go all over the place? I have a Case manual for the hoe, but it doesn't have a good picture of what's in that pump really. I'll try to find a picture of the insides somewhere.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2022-10-17 18:37

    Lol.. nothing is gonna fly out.. but it’s good u asked before hand.. Remove the return line on top of the pump.. then the 3 screws holding the cover on..

  4. #4thepumpguysc2022-10-17 18:38

    Did u Google 580c injection pump?? U can try Stanadyne pump..

  5. #5silverstr8p2022-10-17 23:35

    Okay, got the top off, and the linkage from the fuel shut off was really stuck, so I wiggled it with my fingers and it's looser now. The video is actually upside down, so the throttle linkage is toward the top (which is normally on the outside of the engine) and the fuel shut off is on the bottom, which is normally kind of hidden back behind the top cap I pulled off. I can't figure out whether the throttle linkage with that spring is working right, or it's still gummed up relative to the big spring in the middle. Should I leave something like Dextron ATF soaking overnight in there to try to loosen things up, or just wiggle things a bit more?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-10-18 00:03

    Just spray it down with brake cleaner.. The important thing you were flicking with your finger IS the metering valve and u got it free.. THATS the important thing..

  7. #7thepumpguysc2022-10-18 00:07

    When you put the cover back on, remove the return connector on the cover and let all the junk u loosened up flow out of the pump. You could get the shut off lever moving more freely..

  8. #8silverstr8p2022-10-18 13:17

    So that little spring and levers are what actually controls the throttle too or just the fuel shut off? The shut off lever is moving smoothly, I think maybe there's a friction thing on the lever on the dash that provides some resistance?

  9. #9thepumpguysc2022-10-18 15:11

    Enough with all the questions.. start the dam thing.. lol

  10. #10silverstr8p2022-10-19 01:14

    It runs, yay!!! Thanks for all the help

  11. #11thepumpguysc2022-10-19 08:46

    Kool.. Stick with me kid, I’ll learn ya somethin ..( 3 stooges)