Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C heater fan in cab

PAwrestling#1 ยท 2013-07-13 16:42

Can anyone tell me if it matters which way the coolant hoses are hooked up to the heater/fan beside the seat? If so how do I tell which one goes to which inlet?

Replies7
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-07-13 19:03

    Don't no for sure your heater since there were many add on kits out their too, seem to remember the case unit had a round heater core. Think the hose from the engine valve went to the outside of the core to stop the flow threw the core, close to the fender, and the fan was on that same side blowing across/ threw it. The return hose was in more (seat) side. Have not seen a cab C in awhile, should be some owners with them on here that can confirm it.

  2. #2da'yoop2013-07-16 12:47

    Don't take this as gospel.........but I can't see why it would make any difference. All you're doing is flowing through a coil.

  3. #3BlazinSS9342013-07-16 16:23

    I will say that on many tube and fin coolers the orientation of the fittings is important. A lot of aftermarket oil coolers get air bound if you pipe them with the fittings on the bottom. Just food for though. Also if it is a two pass coil like many heat exchangers are then inlet/outlet is important. I installed a Maggie TVS2300 supercharger on a trailblazer ss and it has a air to water heat exchanger for the intercooler in the blower unit. The heat exchanger coolant runs thru the core nearest the AC Condenser and then goes thru the final stage which is closest to the front of the truck. Kinda hard to explain the point is the coolant starts to give up some of the heat in the 1st pass and then finishes giving up heat in the 2'nd pass before it goes back to the HX tank. If it gets reversed then your Intake air temps climb because your gonna heat soak the coolant. Kinda off topic but just something to consider Sal

  4. #4PAwrestling#12013-07-29 06:40

    Yes this is a round core and the inlet and outlet are perpendicular to seat and fender. If anyone out there has any experience with these on a 580C please let me know. My fan isnt running which is another problem but I really want to make sure I have the lines hooked up in the right location first. One inlet/outlet is tight up against fender and other is closer to seat. What do I need to trace back to as far as what they are hooked too and which inlet or outlet do they hook to at the cooler in the cab

  5. #5melben2013-07-30 21:26

    On Case CE parts lookup page it appears the hose toward the fender goes to the top engine fitting, it pictures a shutoff on that hose. I will go against the grain on this particular heater unit as it is a simple core and both fittings are on the bottom and flow through a circular core, that's a for what it's worth and what you paid for the info, lol

  6. #6PAwrestling#12013-08-01 05:41

    Hoses are hooked up right but fan doesnt work. Gotta check power to it yet.. Is the fan controlled by a switch on instrument panel? I can read any of knobs except flashers which I dont have

  7. #7nova4812013-08-01 08:22

    Maybe this will help