Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C; how to remove Head

dkyle ยท 2015-06-18 14:23

A couple of weeks ago I started a "How to drop Oil Pan" thread that I think can end with.. "can't do it without getting the front axle out of the way". Meanwhile I have investigated my poorly running 580C a bit further and discovered diesel is dripping off the #2 cylinder exhaust gasket. I removed the fuel line to #2 and the engine seems to be running the same as before. I suspect that is a dead cylinder. I took off the exhaust manifold and it appears the #1 & #2 cylinders are dead. Only the #3 & #4 have the "soot" in the ports, #1 & #2 have a "wet carbon buildup". See Picture (if I can get it uploaded). What would cause this? I will be getting fittings that can connect my compression tester to the fuel inlet of the injector; looks like it would be a female coupler with standard spark plug threads on both ends. I will try taking the head off.. any tips? (i have no service manual). do i leave the water pump attached to the timing cover below it? How does one rotate to #1 TDC? do you bar it from the bolts between the pully and the Hyd.pump? View attachment 136775

Replies2
  1. #1lantraxco2015-06-18 15:22

    First thought would be that the cylinder head gasket is blown out between cylinders 1 and 2? Remotely possible it's a valve lash issue or an injector issue, but either of those should show some other symptoms. Try firing it with the exhaust manifold off and the injector lines in place?

  2. #2El Hombre2015-06-18 23:47

    Most gas engine compression gauges go up to maybe 200 psi; diesels will be twice that or more. You'll destroy the gauge if you have decent compression. Look into finding a gauge that goes to 500psi to be safe. Turn the engine over with whatever works for you. If you can access the flywheel, sometimes you can get a big screwdriver to mesh with the ring gear teeth to spin it. Usually it's a big socket on the crank bolt, but sounds like you have a hydraulic pump in the way. Rubber tipped air blow gun into the fuel piping from each cylinder can give you more info about what's messed up. You'll need to pull the valve cover and rotate the engine to get each piston on TDC. Valve cover off to see when both valves on that hole are closed and have some valve clearance from the rocker arm. Shoot about 90 psi air into the cylinder, if you have air flowing out the breather, you have piston problems, air in the radiator a head gasket, air out the exhaust or intake, valves leaking. That kind of thing. A real leakdown tester is better, don't know if you want to spend the money.