I was looking for PumpGuy but maybe someone else knows. Here's another stupid thing I did. I was pulling off my pump today to check seals on shaft as fuel was getting into my crank oil and forgot to wire back the throttle lever until it was pretty much off. Now how do I know if the weights fell out of place or how do I know everything is o.k. Is there a check I can do before firing it up? I have reinstalled the pump but haven't hooked up lines yet until i hear from someone. thanks a bunch..
From my experience the weights do not fall out of place, I have done what you did a few times and had no problems. There is a plate that can get out of place enough to keep the shaft from entering but you can carefully center it and wire the lever. If you have it reinstalled all is well, don't be afraid to start it. Will be anxious to hear from pumpguy, maybe he can explain further but that has been my experience.
Yeah i had no problem getting the pump back on.. The only thing I noticed was after installing the pump I worked the lever which was positioned half way between shut off and full throttle i worked it forward and back and there is a faint rattling noise. Doesnt effect the motion of the throttle arm which is still smooth .. I just don't remember if that noise was present before removing the pump.
Unless you turned the pump upside down you should be fine.. Had a fella come to the front counter to pick up his freshly rebuilt pump..took it out of the bag, REMOVED the BIG TAG that states, "throttle MUST remain tied back until drive shaft is installed or serious pump damage may result".. UNTIED the wire..and took the pump, turned it upside down and started shaking it!!!! ***?? I turned around from doing the paperwork, just intime to see 1 of the flyweights hit the counter.. I ripped up the bill and told him, "that just cost you an extra $50.00"..
haha no i always wait til i get home to do the retarded things... then come on here and share with everyone... hahahaha
well we are up and running. Appears to be running/idling quite a bit better than when i had rolled seal. Pretty much no smoke.. Now we will wait and see what crankcase oil does after running it for awhile. I pray those seals are right or it might get parked out in field with a nice fire underneath it.. Plenty of thanks to all of you that have helped and pumpguy you truely are amazing with your advice, but all have you have helped me so much thanks again..
Thanks for setting me straight on the weight thing PG, it proves the point that we are always learning. TNX, Mel