My 580c has been sitting for a few months while I had the head rebuilt. Was trying to start today. Wasn't getting fuel at injectors while trying to prime. Opened timing plate to bleed pump but no fuel. Added 10 gallons of fuel got fuel up to the filters and at pump inlet but no fuel out of the timing window. Didn't realize I left the pump with shut down lever in off because the last thing I did was compression test before pulling the head. Not sure if that was an issue. Just had pump rebuilt 2 years ago, any thoughts? @thepumpguysc
Maybe the delivery valve is stuck in the top of pump. The pump guy will have a better idea. maybe something is seized up in the linkage. Simon C
Yeah looking at the service manual I came to same conclusion it could be the delivery valve stuck. Hopefully pump guy will chime in.
METERING valve.. Is it a RoosaMaster/STANADYNE.?? If so, remove the 3-5/16 screws and lift the cover.. Use Google or utube to see what ur looking for..
Yes stanadyne Yea metering valve I mis spoke I'll look in the morning Thanks .
One other thing to note. There where times in the past I had to crank engine with pump disabled ( can't remember why) but when I would go to start after it would miss fire and run poor for a few seconds. Is this a sign of a bigger issue?
Could be air in the system but more likely a dribbling injector.??
Injectors where new with pump. I think the metering valve has been sticking? Could sit for months and start without issue. Just an issue when you crank with pump in off position.
Took cover off, metering valve was not stuck. It moves free. This picture is taken with tank shutoff full on and good flow at pump inlet
No fuel in there to me means your inlet screen could be plugged if you are getting fuel flow out of the tube coming from the filters. Try filling that cavity with fresh fuel, put the top back on and with the return line disconnected turn it over. Then you might get fuel up to the injectors or at least you can see if it's pulling fuel. It looks like it in the picture but, is the shut off in the run position?
Inlet screen was clean.
With the inspection cover off the side of the pump, spin it over and make sure the pump is turning. If it's turning and with the pump filled with fuel and you still get no fuel out you will have to set the timing marks, pull the pump and have it re-done.
on its way to pump guy.
Pump guy got me running again. Super nice to deal with