Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c leaking steering column

smythcounty ยท 2014-05-25 00:27

While working today I notice hydraulic fluid leaking from mid way on the steering column and the power steering became hard to control, more so with load in the bucket. Very strange to me, any ideas?

Replies11
  1. #1sheepfoot2014-05-25 13:22

    You need to stop and fix the leak, the power steering has a very small oil canister attached to the power steering pump. Any leaks on the steering cylinders/hoses/steering valve could cause a major steering pump or engine damage if you run it low on oil. The seal is made to a washer plate, you have to remove the steering wheel, tube, shaft. Seal can be removed leaving the steering valve attached on the floor, getting the steering wheel loose can be the hardest issue. It can be done in about 1 1/2 hours or less depending the machine. Clean area good, including the stub shaft on the valve, before removing old seal.

  2. #2smythcounty2014-05-26 00:23

    Thanks sheep foot. I'm going to try to tackle it today.

  3. #3smythcounty2014-05-26 14:49

    Sheepfoot, Any suggestions on getting that steering wheel off. I got the nut off but the two holes on each side are stripped.

  4. #4sheepfoot2014-05-26 17:51

    You can put some PB Blaster on it and let it soak. I would screw the nut on flush to protect the threads, I would run a chain around the rops, use a small come along to hold some tension on the steering wheel in a straight pull, use a hard wood block and hammer on the shaft to pop it loose. In my younger years I would just use my knees to press up on each side and hit it with a big drift or block and it would come loose. I have a small 500lb light weight come a long that uses a 1/2 ratchet to wind up with a built in brake, it will only take a good steady tension of up pressure while hitting the shaft and it should come loose.

  5. #5smythcounty2014-05-26 18:37

    Lol. I wasn't sure how aggressive to get with it. When I pull up on the wheel the shaft slides up about 1/2 inch or so, didn't know if it would pull something loose from the valve body if i just went all out and beat it off.

  6. #6sheepfoot2014-05-26 20:19

    The coupler that holds the steering shaft to the valve has two pins held in with snap rings. You will find some wear it sounds like. Your seal kit is a D73671 around $13.18, the top bearing bushing is D2NN3D650A and is around $15.50 at the top of the tube under the steering wheel. As always recheck the p/n with your dealer. You will be knocking the shaft down, so you have to pull all the slack up before driving the shaft down to make it come loose.

  7. #7smythcounty2014-05-29 20:52

    Ok sheepfoot I've got tension on the steering wheel and have tried 4x4 blocks and even some oak and the shaft ends up just sinking into the wood or spitting the oak and the steering wheel hasn't moved at all. Lol. Any other suggestions.

  8. #8Tinkerer2014-05-29 21:05

    I have had very good results by using an air chisel on steering columns. I use a bit with a point on it. Put tension on the steering wheel like sheepfoot said. Use regulated air pressure so you can control the chisel. That method has always worked for me.

  9. #9sheepfoot2014-05-29 22:14

    Your going to need a solid object around 1" round and 8" tall and a heavy drillers hammer if it's that tight. I don't know how well tooled you are, unless you have the means to re tap the puller holes and get a puller on it with a shaft protector to keep it from swelling the threaded end , the solid shaft and a big hammer would be my next go at it, your going to have to hit it hard and solid. You could also use a 6" 1/2" extension and a I" socket turned inside out, 3/4 drive extension and socket would be better. I don't like beating on tools but I have some that have been used for those special projects. I would not want to put a torch/mapp on it with all the oil and PB blaster unless your ready to fight fire if it lights up on you. Use gloves and safety glasses when hitting the shaft.

  10. #10smythcounty2014-06-01 00:41

    Thanks guys got it finished today. Lots of deep creep and ingenuity to get that steering wheel off but she finally came off. Had to secure two pieces of metal between the column and steering wheel and used a 3/4 extension like Sheep suggested and it came off after many whacks along with the tension from the come along attached to the ROPS. Installed new seal and bushing and drives like a new one, not that I would know what a new one drives like, but it sounded good .

  11. #11fishfighter2014-07-18 12:50

    Old post, but guess what? Mine started leaking yesterday. It dumped out all black oil about half way up the shaft just for a minute and stopped, about a pint of oil. Then no more. Check the pump level and that was still good. Guess I will have to pull things to check. Also started having oil leaking from the bell housing. Looks like the rear seal on the trannie must be leaking. Never a day without fixing something on my hoe.