Got the new (to me) Massey 50F into the shop. I have aquired an operator's manual, a workshop service manual, and a parts book. I have learned a lot reading through these books. However, there are two things I have not been able to learn from these books. 1. What oils are recommended for the main hydraulics, power steering, instant reverse transmission, and engine. 2. Of less importance but still a curiosity - I would also like to figure out a year of manufacture. Serial number 2882X2605. My plan is to go through this old dinosour and replace all the oils and filters. The PS is not working and since the reservoir is empty, I'm hoping some fresh oil will help there. The main hydraulic oil has a lot of water in it, so I intend to clean and flush that system. No clue as to the last time this thing had any oil changes or new filters. I appreciate the inputs I have received from you guys. I've played with small tractors over the years, but this is my first loader/back hoe tractor and I am learning lots. Thanks for any input! Will
hi Will I have a circa 1990 ** 60HX-T. I have had a lot of trouble finding info on parts and maintenance even though I have all the manuals. Seems my model was sold almost exclusively overseas... Anyway, your manual should give you specs on fluids, but regardless, I got the feeling these tractors aren't too fussy about what you put in them. In mine, I'm pretty sure the PS is powered directly off the main hyd system, so I'd start by seeing if that's true for yours as well. Also on mine, it's impossible to drain all the hydraulic fluid. I think mine holds 20g and I was able to drain between 10-15, so if you want a thorough flush you may need to chx it out a couple times.. There is a whole science unto itself around hydraulic fluids. You could spend a few years learning about them all... but I was worried about water in my system too so I put what they call an "R&O" fluid in mine. Massey is now part of Agco, so if you have a local dealer they may be able to offer some better advice...
Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping the systems are not fussy about what I put in them. I have identified that the power steering is it's own system, seperate from the main hydraulics, so that is one more thing to learn as far as fluid. I suspect I can just use the same oil as the hydraulics. For the engine oil, I will just use Rotella oil, the same as I use in my F350 diesel. For the main hydraulics and possibly the steering, I will find a decent 20 or 30 weight hydraulic oil. I am a bit concerned about what to use in the instant reverse tranmission. I'm sure it is impossible to completely change the hydraulics without total disassembly. I have the front loader cylinders removed for overhaul, so there is a bit of the system cleaned there. The manuals offer suggestions for extending the hoe and letting it retract via gravity and that seems resonable for getting 80% of the rest out. I figure I will flush it twice. I hate to spend the oil, but I think it will be worth it. I bought and operators manual and workshop service manual from AGCO. Found a parts manual on eBay. I've been through nearly every page and no mention of recommended oils. The local AGCO dealer told me those are the manuals he would research if he had to find the answer, so not much help there. Thanks for the discussion. What is the R&O fluid? First I have heard of that. Will