I just got done replacing the Master and Slave Cylinders. I sprayed a lot of brake cleaner and it just rained here. When the brakes are applied the wheels will stop if they are spinning off the ground. I pulled the diff lock cover to free up the diff lock input shaft and found what looks coffee light leaking out of the right brake where it mount to the differential. I checked the diff oil right away. The oil is good and clean. The brakes haven't been moved in the long time. It also rained last night pretty hard. The master and slaves are not leaking. Could it be oil leaking out of the seal behind the brake on the right, mixing with water and brake cleaner and coming out as bad coffee? Is there anything else that could cause this? Should I pull the brake covers and check the seals?
Probably the seal on the cross shaft (diff lock) or the main shaft. No brake fluid goes into the brake cover.
I guess I need to pull that and take a look. I really didn't want to do that... I guess I will pull it tomorrow. If I pull the cover, I'll change the seal.
Before you pull cover ,smell your "coffee" 75/90 gear lube that should be in the transaxle has a very distinct smell....if you don't know this smell find a jug and give er a good whiff,you won't forget it... if it's not gear lube,blast the crap out of it again w/brake cleaner and blast everything with air to make sure all that crap comes out of there.....then while trying to keep it dry for a day check it again.....DISCLAIMER...always use proper eye protection when air blasting ANYTHING......
Looking around under the 580 there are signs of a leak. Not a bad leak but I figure I fix it now. I figure I'll need #28 (o-ring) & #29 (oil seal). I can see were the oil seal ride on but I can't figure what the o-ring seals to???
Inspect it very good before you take it apart, #20 seal is the diff lock shaft seal and could well be the problem, make sure the inner large seal is leaking before taking it apart.
I didn't see #20 but if it was that seal it would leak into the diff lock? Question not a statement. Parts: A49796 -- Oil Seal -- 2-1/4 x 3 x 1/2'' (57.15 x 76.2 x 12.7 mm) 510828 -- O-Ring -- 5 x 5-1/4 x 1/8'' (127 x 133.35 x 3.18 mm) Alt Numbers oil seal TIMKEN 410520
Yes, it is in the diff gear where the diff lock shaft come out.
I pulled the right brake today and the seal. I found the light coffee source. When I pulled #24 out came 2 gallons of it more is still dripping out. I didn't have the water pouring out like the youtube: This is weird but the dipstick had nice clean oil on it. Is that the oil in the bottom mixed with the water... and the top layer stayed good? The brakes were full of what looked like grease, rust and crud. If you haven't cleaned yours out you might want too. Look at the drain slot and see if its block off. Mine was and looks like all sorts of stuff backed up into the brakes. Not sure how hot these get if you going to do a lot of driving. I could only worry about a brake fire due to heat and oil/grease... Not sure it would happen but why take a chance. After cleaning the parts, the right looks great. The drum still has grease in it but I think this is ok. I am sure if to should not be there the drains will allow it out. I flushed a lot out of it. I plan on pulling the left tomorrow and expect the same mess. I can confirm the TIMKEN 410520 is a good seal. I picked mine up at O'Reilys. What is a good way to flush rear end? What does everyone runs for oil? Also looking for the drain plug?
If the other one isn't full of oily mess, might want to worry about seal #20. Clean oil came out because it was leaking from the transaxle to the brake, but not vice versa. The mixed with the brake dust etc. I believe the drain plug is on the rear of the transaxle, but I'm not 100%
Pulled the left brake. Crap! I order a liner kit for the bands. Metal on metal. The center part was good but with a broken spring. Replace the spring and is good. Pulling the bands, I broke the bottom anchor bolt that holds the bottom of the bands. Still drilling out what is left of that#$^ bolt. Just happy its not a harden bolt. Drill cut right through it. I'll turn one out on the lathe tomorrow. The seal on the left is good. Drained the rest of the rear after finding the plug. What a mess. It is coming out like bad bad coffee soft served. So far two and half gallons.
Couple of threads. You can search for more. Put 580c in your search. It's a more common tractor but is basically the same as your 480c. HeavyEquipmentForums 580C light brown leak from right brake to case I just got done replacing the Master and Slave Cylinders. I sprayed a lot of brake cleaner and it just rained here. When the brakes are applied the wheels will stop if they are spinning off the ground. I pulled the diff lock cover to free up the diff lock input shaft and found what looks... HeavyEquipmentForums